Backup of pictures and video of Android phones

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
jma2
New here

Backup of pictures and video of Android phones

Post by jma2 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 am

Hi All,

I am struggling with a solution for the following:

All family members have Android based smartphones (different brands, different Android versions) and take pictures and videos without care for regular backups (even though I warn them!).

Now I would like to install a solution by which every phone - only when connecting with our home Wifi - automatically syncs the photos and videos (one-way from phone to QNAP) to it's own account without starting any sync cycle manually. I started using ownCloud and that seemed to work at first, but then somehow the automatic syncing stopped working and it had to be triggered manually and even that didn't work very reliable.

What do you recommend for a trouble-free solution? Which combination QNAP-server-app/Android-client-app would be the sweet spot here?

Thanks in advance for your response.

J.

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Re: Backup of pictures and video of Android phones

Post by MikeLagit » Sat May 23, 2020 1:32 am

Nextcloud! Get the qpkg from QNAP club.

Or just use Google photos which backs up on wifi and you can dump to disk later.

QNAP TS-877-1700-16G
QNAP TS-569L

jma2
New here

Post by jma2 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:44 am

Thank you Mike. As far as I know Google Photos backs up a compressed version (better than nothing I know) and since I have a QNAP...

I will have a look at Nextcloud, found it in the QNAP club but will read a bit on how to use first. Looks promising!

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Sat May 23, 2020 4:00 am

You essentially add the QNAP Club repo to your NAS (look in App settings) and then all the apps will show up just like QNAP apps do. Great stuff!

BTW - Google photos has a setting for full non-compressed, but you run out of space fast. If you were disciplined and took them off your google account every month it could work, but I pretty much use google photos as a last resort backup if all else fails where the compressed is better than nothing. NextCloud is my primary, and compressed google photos is my compressed backup. NextCloud dumps the photos in a space on my NAS where Crashplan picks them up right away and uploads them to the cloud. Should be fairly foolproof I think and I don't worry about losing them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
QNAP TS-877-1700-16G
QNAP TS-569L

Return to “Backup & Restore”