"Not all extended attributes are copied"

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Liberty
Starting out

"Not all extended attributes are copied"

Post by Liberty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Using Hybrid Backup sync I configured a job to backup most of my nas. I get 'job finshed with warnings... check log for details -just not the details I am concerned about apparently. At the end of the log are the synoptic line and warning.

Code: Select all

Sync statistic: Total number of the folders: 51771. Total number of the files: 381957. Total updated size: 2.39 TB. Average updating speed: 86.06 (MB/sec). Time elapsed: 8 hours 5 minutes 59 seconds
 Job finished with warning. (Not all extended attributes are copied.)

The log is not truncated.
The general statement about attributes is useless since no indication is given as to which attributes or for what files.

I am at a loss. If there is further information in the log, how do I find it? 433000+ lines of log entries is a bit much to read through. The text "warning" only appears in file names and as shown. If there is no further information in the log, what good is this backup? I have no way of knowing the extent of the chaos loosing some but not all (guess which ones) extended attributes will cause if I were to need to restore using it! This is highly annoying.

Is there any way to find out what is lost?

L
TS 469L
4 WD red WD20EFRX drives
Raid 5 config + spare
3Gig Ram (max)
Firmware 4.3.4.0569

OneCD
Ask me anything

Re: "Not all extended attributes are copied"

Post by OneCD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:19 pm

What filesystem is on the backup target?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Liberty
Starting out

Post by Liberty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks for the interest OneCd.

Sorry for leaving out some important details - I was rushed and frustrated. The target is a usb attached drive on the NAS. Storage manager indicates EXT4 format. Log didn't have anything in it other than creating... for each file and folder as I recall.

I did a cursory check and see the files present on the external drive and the size used is about right but that doesn't mean much.

L
TS 469L
4 WD red WD20EFRX drives
Raid 5 config + spare
3Gig Ram (max)
Firmware 4.3.4.0569

Liberty
Starting out

Post by Liberty » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 am

Since you mention file system, what FS would be optimal going forward for the USB connected drives? I use windoze primarily but do occasionally use some Linux variant. I want to be able to read and access backups outside of NAS in the event it fails - it is not exactly new! I have used several applications in windoze to access ext(x) drives and am comfortable doing that.

Additional background:
I am going to be relegating this nas to backup duty soon and am just beginning a backup regimen. Once all is set up on the new nas the old one is going to see some changes. I want to use it for automatic backups of our most critical data. I am not clear just yet how but basically I want the old backup nas to be shut down most of the time, wake up on schedule, backup the necessary data, time sync, send some reports and go back to sleep. On a separate track I will do a weekly backup of the new nas - again changed files only via external usb drive dock.

Since Qnap has ended firmware support I am considering converting my old box to full blown Linux but that creates another can of worms I would rather not deal with. However, this may be the simplest way to have the internal drives of the nas write the files in a way they can be read on an external system when the box finally dies.
I just started using a FIDECO Hard Drive Docking Station https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZJVZ42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it seems to be working fine. I haven't fully tested it but one slot seems fast and works with the first 4T drive I dropped in. The drives I am switching to are WD40EFRX Western digital red 4T units. but most of them will be in the NAS raid array. The drives that will be doing backup duty will be the old WD red 2T drives coming out of active service. Since these drives will be out of the system in an esd protective bag /case most of the time and data will be verified after writing, this should do for now.

L
TS 469L
4 WD red WD20EFRX drives
Raid 5 config + spare
3Gig Ram (max)
Firmware 4.3.4.0569

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Liberty wrote:The target is a usb attached drive on the NAS. Storage manager indicates EXT4 format.

In that case, the filesystem shouldn't be an issue. The only other thing I can think of would be related to ACL attributes not being written on the target. I can't check this myself as I don't run QTS 4.3.4 or Hybrid Backup Sync.

Maybe someone else can suggest a cause?

Liberty wrote:Since you mention file system, what FS would be optimal going forward for the USB connected drives? I use windoze primarily but do occasionally use some Linux variant. I want to be able to read and access backups outside of NAS in the event it fails - it is not exactly new! I have used several applications in windoze to access ext(x) drives and am comfortable doing that.

I'd usually suggest NTFS if you need cross-platform readability, but if you have a working Windows solution for EXT[234] filesystems, then great! :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

vf-guy
Starting out

Post by vf-guy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Same issue here. Backups complete from NAS to an external 8tb ext4 drive with the message:

Failed to copy all extended attributes from "".

Have also used a utility to read from ext4 formatted volumes on windows with Diskinternals Linux Recovery, so not concerned about x-platform issues.

Eventually I'll open a ticket but thought I'd check and see if others had this issue and a solution.

petergurney
First post

Post by petergurney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Likewise I have the same issue. Backup shows failed, but it hasn't, its missing attributes. I'm using RTRR to a USB Drive.

TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:20 am

I have the same issue. There seems to be no fix. What would be the best course of action?

Newbie65482
New here

Post by Newbie65482 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Same prb here , any fix?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 pm

contact qnap via ticket

they need to investigate

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:13 am

As far as I remember it, you need to use EXT4 formatted external drive if you want to keep all extended attributes.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 am

3rd post (2nd from OP) indicates that external drive WAS formatted in EXT4

if that is the case with all the #metoo posters is unclear

storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:31 am

Yes I know but others stepped in so I'm making my point :?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:36 am

fair enough

ishbell15
Getting the hang of things

Post by ishbell15 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:30 am

I had the same experience. luckily, after a bit trials, I found ticked "ignore symbolic links", the error disappeared.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Backup & Restore”