Trying to setup hyper data protector

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
doglover3237
New here

Re: Trying to setup hyper data protector

Post by doglover3237 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:17 pm

yookkooy - yea unfortunately i am running that firmware and I still have the issue. But that gives me hope that it might just be a overall software issue rather then a configuration issue on my side

Perino
First post

Post by Perino » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Has anybody been succesful with Hyper Data Protector and Windows Hyper-V 2019? Iam struggeling with this tool and Iam not able to get a succesful backup.
My job always ends up with the error: '[Hyper Data Protector] Failed to export VM "VM1" on HyperV inventory "hyperv.contoso.com". Role: Inventory Agent.'

Jazzy...
New here

Post by Jazzy... » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:46 am

Perino wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:24 pm
Has anybody been succesful with Hyper Data Protector and Windows Hyper-V 2019? Iam struggeling with this tool and Iam not able to get a succesful backup.
My job always ends up with the error: '[Hyper Data Protector] Failed to export VM "VM1" on HyperV inventory "hyperv.contoso.com". Role: Inventory Agent.'
You may want to check the Application Log on your Hyper-V server for hints. The agent uses the native Hyper-V tools to create a local snapshot first, then copies the snapshot to the NAS.

cwradioman
New here

Post by cwradioman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am

Not successful either! QNAP needs to provide a clean uninstaller for the agent and software they use on the hyper-v host! Not enough debugging logging information either.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:39 am

are you sure any agent is installed on the VM host ? I thought they use the onboard tools of the hypervisor to request snapshots and move them

Jazzy...
New here

Post by Jazzy... » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:50 am

cwradioman wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am
Not successful either! QNAP needs to provide a clean uninstaller for the agent and software they use on the hyper-v host! Not enough debugging logging information either.
+1 on the clean uninstall. Or even better, start with documentation that explains what will happen after we add a server to the inventory.

With debugging, are you referring to the HDP debug logs? If not, in HDP click on the three dots, then choose Debug report. There's an Hyper-V trace log in the archive, in the \report\hyperv-fd\<server fqdn>\ path.

mdchaser
Starting out

Post by mdchaser » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:48 am

Ok, don't know if this will help anyone but I'll post just in case. I have two Hyper-V 2019 servers that HDP could connect to without issue. I could run a backup and some of the VMs would back up and the rest would fail with an error similar to this:

Failed to export VM "SQ-Tobit" on HyperV inventory "HWW-SRV". Role: Inventory Agent.

What I found out is that HDP was doing a full export of each VM to the C: drive of the Hyper-V host. It would do multiple VMs at a time and simply fill up the drive causing the failures. I don't believe they are installing any software on the host, just doing a full export then copy. If I'm correct about the method that is being used then this is a terrible way to back up VMs. I've since switched back to Altaro and Active Backup for Business to run my backups.

Return to “Backup & Restore”