Best method for iSCI volume backup to a remote NAS

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
froowstie
New here

Best method for iSCI volume backup to a remote NAS

Post by froowstie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:40 pm

Hi there,

I have a Qnap at work that hosts an iSCI volume that's dedicated for backups. It has about 700GB of data on it, that consists of Hyper-V snapshots that are taken nightly.

I have another Qnap at home, then I figured might be prudent to use as a remote NAS for an offsite backup as well, in case something happens at work and i'm unable to retrieve the local backups. I have RRTR/RSync tested and working between the 2 sites if that helps.

What's the best approach here? My bandwidth is limited to about 100 Mbps between the two sites. There is a large dataset I need to backup that consists of larger VM snapshot files, that changes infrequently between nightly backups - so for example Friday's VM snapshot is likely very similar to Monday's backup at the block level.... so not sure if de-duplication may work for me here.

I've had a look at HBS, but can't nominate the iSCSI folder as a source volume in the backup job. I assume I need to snapshot or a LUN backup to a standard volume before i can nominate the data set inside a HBS backup Job?

.... looking for advice on the best backup strategy here.

Thanks guys.

cwradioman
New here

Re: Best method for iSCI volume backup to a remote NAS

Post by cwradioman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:45 am

The LUN export process takes forever on the QNAP.

Return to “Backup & Restore”