DLNA not showing files

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Poppy
New here

Re: DLNA not showing files

Post by Poppy » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 am

Update!!
Discovered that changing the title tag on the file causes Video Station to treat the file as new and it actually does a new identification of the file - which wasn't working and therefore the Video Station information was set to the filename without extension. Fixing the IMDB lookup for a new file means that ediiting the tag results in the Video Station title being reset to the lookup value (e.g. the episode title) and my custom edits to fix the DLNA alphasbetical sort are therefore lost - that is not so bad.

ja666
Know my way around

[Solved] Video Station not required for DLNA.

Post by ja666 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:10 pm

Hello, as I just moved some of my movies collection from Synology (lack of disk space) back to QNAP (which I used for streaming years before) I met your problems with DLNA and Samsung smart TV.
TS-269L, freshly installed from scratch firmware version 4.3.4.1190 Build 20200107.
I put my video folders ([4k, [mkv], [mp4, [...]) in default Multimedia folder.
I installed Media Streaming add-on as required.
I did not install Video Station.
I was not eager to install Video Station as it consumes resources, may not allow disk to sleep, etc.
On my Samsung smart TV I was shown QNAP Network -> Music / Videos / Photos icons, then Videos -> Shared Videos / Video Collection / Folder / Classification icons.
Out of 500+ movies there were only very few of them strangely showing in 'Shared Videos' folder :'.
So I played with folders privileges trying to add Everybody RO leaving Guest RO, then trying to deep-check privileges for folders containing movies shown in Smart TV QNAP Shared Videos.
Then I removed Everybody from privileges, left only admin and main user as RW.
Then in Control Panel => DLNA Media Server I Selected user account from Guest to main user.
Bingo!
After my QNAP disconnected from Smart TV (which I saw on Smart TV screen) and self-connected again I see on TV menu old good folder structure of DLNA videos :DD.
As DLNA works now as expected I do not want to play with settings.
Mine settings are:
Multimedia folder properties: Owner: main user, Group: administrators, administrators RW (in properties main window), Guest Access Right RO (smaller scroll-down menu).
Movies folders [4k], [mp4], [mkv], [...] (main subfolders of Multimedis folder): as above (so I set Media Folder: Video in my instance for all the main Multimedia subfolders), Owner: main user, Apply Changes to files and subfolders.
I have no idea if settings for Multimedia subfolders as above are necessary, but it works now: all the subfolders and files are visible in Samsung Smart TV, no Video Station nor categories etc. needed :D.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm

your nas should be old enough for the free twonky license

ditch the qnap dlna a use twonky

ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 am

dolbyman wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm
ditch the qnap dlna a use twonky
K.I.S.S.
An option might be Emby which is said to better handle subtitles (c.c.) than Twonky (I was never impressed with the latter).
How to install Emby nowadays?
Last edited by ja666 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:12 pm

what does a band have to do with it ?

twonky serves subtitles just fine (samsung dlna player and kodi)

ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:28 pm

dolbyman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:12 pm
what does a band have to do with it?
Don't value people by number of bays :ashamed:.
Keep It Simple Stupid!

grujea
First post

Post by grujea » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello there,

I have been experiencing the same issues as described in this thread: only folders, no files appearing.

From what I figured out, the problem was that there were no Thumbnails generated.

This thing worked for me, with no need to install Photo Station or any other app: From Multimedia Console>Thumbnail Generation>Schedule> select Generate in real time, and press Generate Now also.

After thumbnails were generated, the files were visible through DLNA.

Hope it helps!

Zztopower
New here

Post by Zztopower » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 am

Hi guys,
I'm new to Qnap "world", not an expert, but i´m having the same issue but only with Music and Video folders, the Photo folder displays everything.
i've been messing with all possible settings with no success...

kevnapq
Starting out

Post by kevnapq » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi
I have encountered a similar issue to after updating QNAP software a few days ago (possibly not the issue). My sony TV did find video files in folders but after I found that new files didn't show up (they did previously) I re indexed everything.
However now some folders are empty and some are missing files and some files are in wrong folders.

kevnapq
Starting out

Post by kevnapq » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:45 pm

Tried adding a folder in video collections within video station and the TV saw that but when i tried to add a different one it doesn't. Not sure how often the structure should refresh.

Return to “Media Streaming”