Multimedia Console will not start

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
giskard
Getting the hang of things

Multimedia Console will not start

Post by giskard » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:19 pm

When installing Multimedia Console the displayed status (when hovering over the app icon) is "Multimedia Console Waiting..." and the multimedia console never installs. I uninstalled the multimedia console and related apps to try an fix an issue I've encountered where all multimedia content on all shared folders on the data volume is scanned and presented to DLNA client apps, despite only one shared folder being configured/specified for multimedia content delivery.

I've only noticed the issue with installing Multimedia Console since updating to the latest QNAP firmware, but that could be a coincidence.

I've tried restarting the NAS but when I try to load/start the Multimedia Console, nothing happens and if I click on the icon again, I get a message saying that the multimedia console is "starting up, please try again later", but it never does.

Has anyone else come across a similar issue? If so, did you manage to resolve it and if so, how?

zeozon
New here

Re: Multimedia Console will not start

Post by zeozon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:47 am

Hello,

I`ve same problem. In a german forum there is also someone else with this issue.
We all don´t know what to do.

To force re-installation via shell is also not working.

giskard

Post by giskard » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:49 am

I've raised a ticket with QNAP support who want to connect to my NAS with TeamViewer

giskard

Post by giskard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:19 am

So a tech support guy from QNAP UK logged into my NAS via TeamViewer (running in a Hyper-V Linux VM I quickly created for this sort of thing) and sorted it out. I didn't see exactly what he did in the SSH session but he ran a malware scanning script from QNAP's download site and this claimed to have found one malware item. When I asked what it was he didn't provide any detail. He re-installed the firmware to no avail and asked me to disconnect the second network cable I had plugged in to the NAS (I had it there to separate media streaming from file I/O and admin but as it was on the same network/subnet it could cause problems apparently). We went thru a few reboots after he'd installed the Multimedia Console from the main QNAP App Center at https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/app_center rather through the App Center on the NAS and that seemed to resolve the issue.

When I asked about the malware and for a summary of what had happened and what had been done, I got the following:
Hi John,
Looks like malware was blocking parts of the NAS from updating the firmware fully and the malware had redirected the url for the app center, ran our malware cleaning script, updated the firmware / re-flashed, then ran the malware script again and now the app Center installs apps, multimedia Console installed and running ok.

Hi ****,
Thanks for that, what malware was it? I've no idea how any malware would've got onto the NAS as I only install apps from the app store, apart from installing iPerf3 from QNAPClub store. Can you please share the URL of your malware cleaning script.

Hi John
Looked like Derek, sorry I am unable to share the script but you will no longer need it now, the malware took advantage of vunrabilities in the older firmware

Zsozsi90
New here

Post by Zsozsi90 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Above advise worked out well to me. I reinstalled the Multimedia Console from the publicly available app center instead of the one of the NAS desktop. https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/app_center
Thanks @giskard

AzJazz

Post by AzJazz » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:01 am

Reinstalling the Multimedia Console was only a temporary fix. It worked for me for a little while, and then the Multimedia Console was stuck at Starting ... again.
My OS: Win7x64
NAS model: QNAP TS453 Pro
Firmware Version/Build numbers: 4.3.6
Network Setup (ie Single Port or Port Trunking): Single Port
Drive Configuration: RAID5 (3 x 4.0TB WD40EFRX Red)

Return to “Media Streaming”