{HELP} TS-1635AX – PLEX Media Server – Config/Upgrade

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
Mordrin
New here

{HELP} TS-1635AX – PLEX Media Server – Config/Upgrade

Post by Mordrin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 am

I am looking for some insight, clarification, and advice on how I should configure my new TS-1635AX. I will place as much information as possible below so that you are as informed as possible on the situation.

I currently own 5 QNAP NAS’s including the TS-1635AX, the plan is to combine into my current main and new NAS. I have backed up all data from my current primary QNAP NAS to all my others in folder batches so once my new one arrives; I can use the Hybrid backup software to restore.

This NAS’s primary purpose is a PLEX media server to provide local network streaming, streaming to 4/5G enabled devices as well as other home network locations in my country. For the most part my current NAS a TVS-951X is perfect for this role, however I am lacking enough storage space and local RAID redundancy as I have been running in RAID 1 until now.

My plan is to have 12 x 8TB drives in RAID 60 (Please confirm if this is a suitable RAID, I have conflicting info stating RAID 50, 60 should only be used with 16 or more drives). I'm hoping it's fine as I would prefer the storage space of 10 x 8TB drives wth 2 in redundancy in case of failure.

Upgrade to a single 8GB or 16GB RAM stick. Increased bandwidth for RAM intensive proccesses.

In regard to it being a Plex Media server, I’d like confirmation on if installing a QM2-2P-344 dual m.2 nvme PCIE card with a 512GB M.2 NVME drive and having QTS and all apps including plex installed on it, would it give a significant performance on navigation on other devices, loading times of video or other Plex processes to provide a better viewing experience? Would installing a second 512GB M.2 NVME dive in that PCIE card and using it for Cache or QTeir make a difference as per above to warrant the extra expense?

I do need to install a 10Gbps network card or SPF+ device into one of two PCIE slots and all 4 x 2.5” drive slots will be filled for two separate Raid 1 for personal storage and another RAID 1 for CCTV video storage for the QVR system app.

Look forward to people thoughts.

Cheers QNAP Forum Users

dolbyman
Guru

Re: {HELP} TS-1635AX – PLEX Media Server – Config/Upgrade

Post by dolbyman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:30 am

the box you have chosen looks impressive, but is only powered by a marvel armada 8040 and lacks video hardware IP or processing power for the job

https://www.marvell.com/products/infras ... -80xx.html

And will probably not be enough for a single transcoding job in hardware mode

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... c/htmlview

The 951x is much more capable here (I have one myself) .. with a plexpass

Mordrin
New here

Post by Mordrin » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 am

Hey Dolbyman,

I may be wrong on this but I currently use Plex to simply stream the original file to PC's on a local network, smart TV's and parley on some game consoles.
As far as I'm aware my existing NAS settings in Plex just stream the original file and don't transcode. The majority of my files seem to play locally on DLNA on smart TV's and through Plex on a PC.

If that's not the case I hope I didn't spend 2k on a paperweight and end of buffering most of the time.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 am

you said 4/5G enabled devices..that means streaming to outside of your lan...meaning transcoding needs to happen

a step down will also happen in terms of postprocessing, scraping, thumbnail gen, etc..cpu power is just not there in an arm processor (at least in those)

Return to “Media Streaming”