Post by praneet » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi

Here is my configuration:
NAS : TS-253B
RAM : 8 GB
SATA Disk : 6 TB x 2 in Mirroring

Have recently added but configured:
PCIe Card : QM2-2P-384
NVMe : Samsung 970 SSD 250GB x 2 (Total 500GB)

What I want to achieve :
Create one Ubuntu (64bit) VM to play multiple roles : Ubiquiti Unify Video Server, Unify Controller, Run time bound system scripts and some more. for this I do not need more than 250 GB as video recordings will be motion activated.

Create one Windows 10 (64bit) VM for general use (But not essential).

Questions :
Can I create a separate volume with NVMe SSD's indipendent of the SATA Volume?
If yes then can I create both of the above VM's on the SSD Volume?

Any suggestions for best way to use the above resources?
Cheers,
Praneet
-----------------------
TS-253B

P3R
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-235B/QM2-2P-384/500gb NVMe/uBuntu VM

Post by P3R » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:53 pm

praneet wrote:Can I create a separate volume with NVMe SSD's indipendent of the SATA Volume?
Yes. Make sure you don't add them to the same storage pool (if used).
If yes then can I create both of the above VM's on the SSD Volume?
Yes.
Any suggestions for best way to use the above resources?
Personally I prefer disk redundancy as that make my life much easier when (not if) a disk dies so I would configure the two SSDs in RAID 1. But in general, it sound like overkill to use those very fast and expensive SSDs only for storing video.

Maybe you can have a smaller Ubuntu system volume (and have room for a Win 10 disk as well) on the SSDs and have a separate volume on the SATA disks for large volume storage like the video? It would be a more complicated setup but it would make more effective use of your space limited SSDs.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

praneet
Starting out

Post by praneet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Thanks P3R. That makes me think even more:

Create one volume of SSD's : 500 Gigs : Use it for VM's
Create another volume on SATA : 1 tb to backup SSD and offload Video files.
Cheers,
Praneet
-----------------------
TS-253B

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:29 pm

praneet wrote:Create one volume of SSD's : 500 Gigs : Use it for VM's
When either disk fail you will lose everything and I have no idea how Virtualization Station handle lost storage.

But it's possible if you really need that much capacity. My 6 VMs only use about 200 GB (but I'm of course a bit careful when assigning storage).
Create another volume on SATA : 1 tb to backup SSD and offload Video files.
Yes offloading video is good but please note the following:

There's very rarely any point in creating separate volumes in a Qnap. Separate data with different shared folders instead. Separate volumes complicates the configuration, lead to more administrative work, increase the storage overhead without adding any real advantage.

A backup on the same system is wasteful because it protects from only a single threat. Fire, theft, flooding, software bugs and hardware faults are examples of threats that may all easily take both original and backup data out at the same time. The risk for user errors causing damage also very much increases with a backup on the same system. Backups should be on separate systems and preferably be stored at another location. The most inexpensive separate backup is a USB-connected external disk.

Make sure you have a working backup procedure scheduled and make sure that you can restore your backups.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

praneet
Starting out

Post by praneet » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Thanks P3R.

For the backup redundancy I have cloud sync which works well as I recovered from disaster about a year back.

You have a point. Best is to create a RAID 1 between SSD's and offload Video files to a shared folder on SATA and keep it simple.
Cheers,
Praneet
-----------------------
TS-253B

Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 am

I probably wouldn't worry about storing unify video files on the SSDs. I would create a separate VM Disk and store that on your SATA drives. Sequential writes are not that taxing to SATA (depending on how many cameras's you are dealing with/bitrate/etc.).
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
Model:TS-228a FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”