Convert Volume to LUN

iSCSI related applications
Never Question
First post

Convert Volume to LUN

Post by Never Question » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Hi All,

I have decided to run Tape backups because I recently inherited a Tape Library.

But what I have discovered is that I need to set up an ISCSI Target on my Qnap, assign a Lun, then connect my Windows backup machine to the target and configure as a drive. However, when I set up my Qnap solution I created a Volume which now needs to be a Lun to be connected to my ISCSI Target configured within Qnap. ISCSI Target is all ready to go and my Windows Machine connects to it just fine, but no disk able to be assigned yet.

My question is. Can you convert a Volume to a Lun? Will I need to backup my data and rebuild as a Lun?! Can't see any other way around this based on my research. Shares are not supported sadly by my backup software, and I note NDMP is not supported by Qnap which was another way around it. Ideas?

From Storage & Snapshots :

Storage Pool: 1 ,Volume 1,Lun: 0

Capacity = 7.26 TB
Used = 4.96 TB

Setup :

3x Drives of 4 TB in Raid 5 (Might be a red flag and a prompt to upgrade there with all the reports of raid failure because of 3 disks only)

Qnap
TS-451+

Thanks in Advance!

P3R
Guru

Re: Convert Volume to LUN

Post by P3R » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Never Question wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:54 pm
However, when I set up my Qnap solution I created a Volume which now needs to be a Lun to be connected to my ISCSI Target configured within Qnap.
The reason most people get a NAS is probably to be able to share storage and data between multiple client systems and that's why volumes are used. If converting to a LUN you can't easily share data between client systems any more. Is the Windows backup machine the only client system that need to access the data on the NAS?

It sound like a very large sacrifice in NAS usability to make to be able to use a specific backup solution. If you don't have any other systems or users that need to share data between them and you know that won't change any time soon, then of course that's not an issue
Can you convert a Volume to a Lun?
No.
Will I need to backup my data and rebuild as a Lun?!
Sort of. In this case it wouldn't be hard though as you could use the Windows backup machine concurrently connected to both the volume and the LUN to copy chunks of data over. When a copy have succeeded you can delete the data from the volume. It won't be quick but it should be relatively painless.

It may be tempting to use the Move feature in Windows but that would be a more risky approach.
3x Drives of 4 TB in Raid 5 (Might be a red flag and a prompt to upgrade there with all the reports of raid failure because of 3 disks only)
What do you mean?

RAIDs never fail because they consist of only 3 disks. A 4-disk RAID 5 have a higher risk for failures than a 3-disk RAID 5 with the same size of disks. I'm not saying that to scare you from expanding to 4 disks if you need more storage capacity but don't expect the reliability to increase from it. To increase reliability you would need to migrate the 3-disk RAID 5 to a 4-disk RAID 6.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”