Extremely Slow Download/Upload Speeds Over Internet

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
dbiaa
New here

Extremely Slow Download/Upload Speeds Over Internet

Post by dbiaa » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi All,

First time QNAP user here and not the most tech savvy so forgive me if I make any errors when explaining my situation!

We just purchased a TVS-872XT for our office, it is populated with 8 16TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives, we have a 1Gbps symmetrical upload/download connection.

When I connected via myqnapcloud from my home network 350mbps download / 35mbps upload, I was getting approx 1MB/s download speeds! Now I knew this was very wrong straight away so I did some digging on this forum and realised perhaps the QNAP servers via cloud link were the bottle neck so I managed to disable it swell as the myqnapcloud DDNS and created my own via no-ip.com (took me a few hours I must say!).

Now the speed starts off great around 30MB/s but begins to drop steadily until it goes down to around 2-3MB/s and I feel like I'm back to square one! Is there some sort of setting I need to change to get my full gigabit speed?

This unit replaces a Synology DS1019+ (with which btw we had absolutely no issues connecting to remotely using Synology's own software Quickconnect) I would be able to saturate my home network upload / download speed as would my colleagues from their homes (none of us have greater than gigabit internet so the bottleneck is always our network not the office one to which the NAS is connected.

The NAS is connected directly to our router (Asus RT-AX88U) using a Cat 7 cable.

Any help on this would be extremely appreciated! I've tried changing the jumbo frames to 9000 as I saw one user recommend and that hasn't made a difference either! I have a business trip planned next week and being able to upload all the footage from abroad to the NAS quickly will be critical! Worst case I may have to reinstall the Synology NAS (which I was going to use as an off site back up NAS) in the office too and use that for remote access...biggets issue we had with that was the gigabit speeds were no good for transferring large files as well as editing off the NAS directly, but at least we could access it properly remotely!

Regards,

Abs

dbiaa
New here

Re: Extremely Slow Download/Upload Speeds Over Internet

Post by dbiaa » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi All,

Got it! Jumbo Frames weren't enabled on my Asus Router, I was checking all the settings and came across jumbo frames on it and I enabled it and now I'm getting the full download / upload speed remotely!

I wonder if I go back to using myQNAPcloud I'll also get the same speed...

Hopefully this can help anyone else in the same situation!

Regards,

Abs

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Unless you use VPN for remote access ..exposing your NAS is very dangerous

Read up on all the malware infecting exposed NAS

dbiaa
New here

Post by dbiaa » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:29 pm

dolbyman wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:14 pm
Unless you use VPN for remote access ..exposing your NAS is very dangerous

Read up on all the malware infecting exposed NAS
Do you have any guides for setting up a VPN for remote access? I tried to follow a few but couldn’t get it to work?

Also what’s the difference between a VPN on the router and VPN on the NAS directly?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:55 pm

You would need to check a guide for whatever router midel you have

Difference to a VPN server on the router would be, that you do not forward any outside traffic to your NAS directly

dbiaa
New here

Post by dbiaa » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Are both just as good in terms of security? Which would you recommend?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Last time I checked, open SSL on qnap was very outdated..but it depends on what router you have

dbiaa
New here

Post by dbiaa » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 pm

I have an Asus RT-AX88U,

I've just managed to set it up and got it connected to the router,

So is that it? It says connected on both the routers OS and OpenVPN & Tunnelblick, so I can just carry on as normal and don't have to do anything else on the NAS's settings?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:25 pm

I would switch to Merlin FW ...he updates security and features more often than asus

as I dont know whay you did, I cannot confirm or deny if you setup the vpn server correctly

Return to “File Sharing”