File access delayed / hanging on TS-451A

Windows Access Rights Management
mwbrown42
New here

File access delayed / hanging on TS-451A

Post by mwbrown42 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:39 pm

It *seems* like the latest firmware update 4.4.3.1381 has caused big delays and hangs accessing the Windows share of my TS-451A, 4 drive RAID 5 server.

If I try to click through a directory tree with File Explorer to get to a file, it will sit there for 30 seconds before showing me the contents of the next level. Simply editing a file with Notepad has a significant delay to save.

This is happening from all 3 of my Windows machines, Win 7 and 10.

If I restart the QNAP box it seems to work for about a day then the delays and hangs start again.

I am seeing this message for the first time:

Severity Level Date Time Users Source IP Application Category Content
Warning 08/17/2020 06:52:18 System 127.0.0.1 Storage & Snapshots Disk [Storage & Snapshots] Skipped read performance test for disk "Host: Disk 2". The disk is busy.

Is this an impending disk failure? How can I find the SMART data or run diagnostics on it?

I did turn on myQNAPCloud after the firmware update but I believe I've got that disabled again.

I'm not deeply familiar with the server, it's just run well by itself since I set it up, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

dolbyman
Guru

Re: File access delayed / hanging on TS-451A

Post by dolbyman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:51 pm

smart and diagnostics can be found in the storage manager ..check the online manual

qnapcloud could lead to malware infections (if nas exposed to wan directly) ... any cpu hog processes present ?

mwbrown42
New here

Post by mwbrown42 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:29 pm

dolbyman wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:51 pm
smart and diagnostics can be found in the storage manager ..check the online manual

qnapcloud could lead to malware infections (if nas exposed to wan directly) ... any cpu hog processes present ?
Thanks for the suggestions.

- SMART shows no errors on all 4 drives
- Highest CPU usage is 0.3% for each of Plex, QSync and Microsoft Networking.

Still hunting...

ChuckDavis666
Starting out

Post by ChuckDavis666 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 am

I'm not having any performance issues with File Explorer, but I might have an explanation for the "disk is busy" issue with the Performance Test.

I just turned on the Performance Test. There is no way to schedule when it runs. It will always run at 6:00 AM on Monday morning.

I had RAID Scrubbing scheduled to run at midnight Sunday/Monday.

I replaced Drive 3 and rebuilt the RAID last week.

The Performance Test ran for the first time this (Monday) morning. It failed on Drives 1 and 2 at 6:51 AM with the "disk is busy" message. The Performance Test did not fail on Drive 3, and results were shown.

The RAID Scrubbing and Performance Test were probably running at the same time. Drives 1 and 2 were "busy" with RAID Scrubbing, so the Performance Test failed. Drive 3, being new, probably didn't require much/any RAID Scrubbing so the Performance Test was successful.

I rescheduled RAID Scrubbing for a different day. We'll see what happens.

Return to “Windows”