HD Station’s Photo Station HD (Local Display) app gets “Your connection is not private” webpage

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
jdhaliwal
New here

HD Station’s Photo Station HD (Local Display) app gets “Your connection is not private” webpage

Post by jdhaliwal » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:59 am

Hi,

I have setup my NAS (a TVS-673e running QTS 4.5.1) using myqnapcloud link to connect to the myqnapcloud.com website and install a Letsencrypt SSL certificate for the NAS name <mynasname>.myqnapcloud.com.

But when I start any of the Local Display HD Station apps, e.g. Photo Station HD, the webpage launched connects to the localhost address of 127.0.0.1 and indicates that this address is not secure with warnings “Your connection is not private” and “This server could not prove that it is 127.0.0.1; it’s security certificate is from <mynasname>.myqnapcloud.com”.

I’ve tried editing /etc/hosts to change the 127.0.0.1 entry from localhost to <mynasname>.myqnapcloud.com as was suggested in another post, but this does not work, even after restarting HD Station. Also, rebooting the NAS removes my changes to /etc/hosts.

Any suggestions as to how I can get the SSL certificate to work with Photo Station (Local Display)?

dolbyman
Guru

Re: HD Station’s Photo Station HD (Local Display) app gets “Your connection is not private” webpage

Post by dolbyman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:12 am

same as always..exposing your nas is very dangerous

make sure you have full backups..offline ..so when your files get encrypted and held for ransom...so you have a way out

jdhaliwal
New here

Re: HD Station’s Photo Station HD (Local Display) app gets “Your connection is not private” webpage

Post by jdhaliwal » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks for the advice dolbyman, I have disabled myqnapcloud link, set access to private and disabled UPnP at my router. My main use of myqnapcloud was the easy setup of a free SSL certificate and the DDNS service, in order to get rid of the annoying ‘not trusted’ web pages on my NAS. I’m a bit stumped that connections from the NAS from itself using https are still bringing up the not trusted warnings.

PS. Is this the right forum for this post? Not really used any forums here before.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:06 pm

are you accessing your nas via a fqdn (with dns entries can be non public aswell)?

generally ssl certs are only issued for fqdn, so any other way will result in errors

jdhaliwal
New here

Post by jdhaliwal » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:28 am

I access the NAS using the Qfinder Pro utility on my Windows laptop, which I suspect connects using the NAS’s LAN address. This used to cause the same “not secure” issues when accessing the NAS but then my laptop’s BitDefender security software appeared to create a SSL certificate for the NAS address issued by BitDefender and also added BitDefender as root certificate authority on the laptop. Really not happy about those Laptop changes, made without asking men for permission, but at least the “not secure” warnings went away.

As for Photo Station (Local Display), found that using the “advanced” option to continue to the “not secure” website stops the warning webpage from being displayed on later connections. Not really a ‘solution’ but it’s easy and works. Thanks for the help.

jdhaliwal
New here

Post by jdhaliwal » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:20 pm

OK, I clearly don’t understand what’s going on with this issue on my NAS as I am still getting the warning messages now and again. Hence my statements in the last post are likely wrong.

Time for some research, which being lazy I was hoping to avoid. :-)

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”