How to access network drives via finder when on VPN

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
eight13atnight
Starting out

How to access network drives via finder when on VPN

Post by eight13atnight » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:23 am

Hi there;

I'm trying to figure out how to access my NAS drives via finder over VPN. The goal here is to mount them like a networked drive while not actually being on the local network. I've successfully set up VPN, and I'm told it's connected to the NAS. The trouble is, I'm not able to find the correct path to access the drives. I've tried entering the IP address of the NAS into "connect to server" but that does not work. I feel stupid asking, but I'm pretty sure I dont know what I don't know, if you know what I mean. I posed this question on Reddit a while back, and someone said to just mount it the same way I do at home. I use the Qfinder app at home and that's not working for me over the VPN. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could try?

running a QNAP NAS TS-451 server. Macbook Air w Mojave for MacOS. Using VPN in finder to connect w server (mac says it's connected and talking, but I'm not able to mount any drives).

eight13atnight
Starting out

Re: How to access network drives via finder when on VPN

Post by eight13atnight » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:31 am

Welp since no one answered I had to keep on digging myself. It took some time because I didn't exactly know what language I was speaking but I found many useful answers here in case anyone is tracking this thread.

qnap support DOT net/how-to-set-up-a-qnap-nas-as-a-vpn-server/

The lion share of this I had already figured out. The answer I was seeking on this post, however, was discovered in the comments of the above link. It was the address 10.X.X.1 because the clients are using 10.x.x.2 through 10.x.x.254. I didn't know that at the time, but now makes sense. Good luck.

spacesimon
Starting out

Re: How to access network drives via finder when on VPN

Post by spacesimon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 am

System prefs > Network

Small cog under the list > Set Service Order

Put VPN at the top.
Select VPN from list > Advanced > send all traffic via vpn - ensure not ticked.

Connect to VPN

CMD-K > enter local ip of server

Return to “Mac OS”