QuickBooks and Virtualization Station?

Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: QuickBooks and Virtualization Station?

Post by Trexx » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:41 pm

I personally would probably get a VERY good QNAP reseller then to support you.

The option (it's only $$), would be to get a QNAP that is certified for VMware storage compatibility and get a small VMware Server. You are going to get a lot better vendor support from companies like Quickbooks etc. for running something in VMware than in Virtualization Station on QNAP.

That way each component is doing what they do best: QNAP for Storage, VMware for Virtualization.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
Model:TS-228a FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

dylane
Starting out

Post by dylane » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:08 am

We've got a call scheduled with our consultant for Monday, so I'm going to raise these issues with him and get some more feedback. Thanks so much for helping me feel that I at least have an idea of what questions to ask.

LAUGH
First post

Post by LAUGH » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:32 am

Hi,

I would be interested to know your outcome as I'm looking at doing similar (i.e. QNAP TS-453B > VM > Windows 7 or 10 > QuickBooks). I believe after speaking with QB (Intuit Support) that you have to be running an OS for the software to load onto. I seen the possibility of LINUX and there is QvPC, but not too sure about that. In any case you seem to be correct that the Db (company file) cannot be accessed on its own in multi-user mode.

That said, if you don't need simultaneous access you can run it in single-user mode and may be able to just store the Db and related files (typically created in the PC's 'Public Folder' when selecting as the host) on the NAS for access.

Regards backup, you were going to use a second NAS I believe which sounds good, but additional cloud backup of the backups with versions may be best in case the NAS devices are compromised or the unlikely event of both being corrupted (never say never). OneDrive is free up to 5GB along with many other providers which is more than ample.

Kind regards

dylane
Starting out

Post by dylane » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:28 am

Wish I could help you out, but the boss decided to go in a different direction and settled on being OK with two regular desktops at the two locations and just using OneDrive for Business for file storage syncing. For QB we're just in the early stages of setting that up on a new PC and the plan is for there to be just remote into that machine when the owner is away, or if they want a second person to work on the financials. Not a particularly elegant solution, but our needs are changing and their is less need for two people to access QB than we were expecting even a few months ago.

Good luck with your setup. I'd be interested to know if you can get it to work well, as I think we might still want to go down that road eventually.

woodman750
New here

Post by woodman750 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 pm

For anyone that is interested, I have QuickBooks Premiere 2019 multi-user mode set up on a QNAP TS-251+ using VS. My setup is as follows:

* 4 users on Windows 7 and 10 PCs with QuickBooks Premiere 2019
* QNAP TS-251+
* VS with Windows 10 as the OS
-- I stripped away all of the bloat that comes with Windows for the VS. It's sole purpose is to host the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
* QuickBooks Database Server Manager installed on the VS (not the full program, just the Database Manager - I believe that is the third option on the install screen)
* The folder holding the Quickbooks data files is on the VS and shared across our network with full read/write access (mapped as a drive on each PC that needs to access it)

It's only been a week, but this setup has worked very well with no noticeable lag beyond the recommended Quickbooks setup (i.e. using a dedicated PC as the host).

speedog
First post

Post by speedog » Sat May 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Hi Woodman,

Just asking, a year and a half out have you found your Qnap Quickbooks solution to have functioned with no issues?

boma23
New here

Post by boma23 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:23 am

following also!

Have a client which I installing a rack NAS for, to run OneDrive backup, a few basic IPcams, and file archiving.

I also want to move QB to it.

My 2 thoughts were:
1. a standalone WinPC to act as QB server and then set the QB backup to run to either SMB share or iSCSI attached storage.
2. have a WinPC which hosts the QB server and company files directly on the iSCSI attached storage which is on the NAS.

Anyone tried either of the above?
TurboNAS TS-EC879U-RP, 8 bay, Version 4.1.1, Build 20141003

Return to “Virtualization Station”