Transfer of VM between two NAS-systems (INTEL & AMD CPU)

maeffjus
Starting out

Transfer of VM between two NAS-systems (INTEL & AMD CPU)

Post by maeffjus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi Guys,

while I'm positively surprised about the new ability to transfer VMs like with VM-motion (that is at least what I expect), I still wonder if this is really limited as per some early description.
Somewhere I read that it can only be transferred / moved with the same CPU-type.
That made me wonder:

Actually the Intel Celeron from my TS-453Be is a x86/x64 CPU and so is the AMD APU that drives my TVS-473e.
Did anyone check if a transfer of VMs between these two is possible?

I'm asking, because of the following:

Currently I use the TVS 473e as my main-system. My backups go to a (relatively low-feature, but also low power) ZYXEL NAS540.
I actually have the TS-453Be unused here, but I'm not sure if I should sell the ZYXEL or the 453Be. The later one will give me more money on sale and the Zyxel draws less power.
But only if I can transfer VMs between the 473e and the 453Be would be enough of a dealbreaker to dismiss ~300€ of more money when selling the 453Be.

Did anyone yet try this?

Regards,
Maeffjus

emkxp01
New here

Re: Transfer of VM between two NAS-systems (INTEL & AMD CPU)

Post by emkxp01 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:26 am

Hi Maeffjus,

I have 2 identical TS-253A'a and have just upgraded to the latest Virtualisation Station.

When attempting migration it looks like there's a check that the source and destination CPU types are the same, and it looks like it won't allow you to migrate a VM if they're different.

I've not had a lot of luck with the migration facility, even though my CPUs are the same.
2 attempts so far, between the NASs connected to the same GB LAN have ended in failure.
The process gets to around 30% and then fails with the following error.

Failed to migrate VM: Mail Server to remote device: 192.168.9.202. Failed to call API.

So I'm not too impressed at the moment.

There doesn't seem to be any detailed log, so I've no real idea what's going on.

Ah well, I don't feel I've lost anything, just not gained an interesting feature.

Cheers,
Keith.

Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 am

maeffjus wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm
Hi Guys,

while I'm positively surprised about the new ability to transfer VMs like with VM-motion (that is at least what I expect), I still wonder if this is really limited as per some early description.
Somewhere I read that it can only be transferred / moved with the same CPU-type.
That made me wonder:

Actually the Intel Celeron from my TS-453Be is a x86/x64 CPU and so is the AMD APU that drives my TVS-473e.
Did anyone check if a transfer of VMs between these two is possible?

I'm asking, because of the following:

Currently I use the TVS 473e as my main-system. My backups go to a (relatively low-feature, but also low power) ZYXEL NAS540.
I actually have the TS-453Be unused here, but I'm not sure if I should sell the ZYXEL or the 453Be. The later one will give me more money on sale and the Zyxel draws less power.
But only if I can transfer VMs between the 473e and the 453Be would be enough of a dealbreaker to dismiss ~300€ of more money when selling the 453Be.

Did anyone yet try this?

Regards,
Maeffjus
According to QNAP's recent Youtube video on VS 3.5, only Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD are supported.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
Model:TS-228a FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

maeffjus
Starting out

Post by maeffjus » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:57 pm

Thx Paul!
I've set up the TS-453Be over the weekend and can confirm this.
All points will get a green checkmark, except the CPU.

This means it does not work at all. That is the reason I'll sell my TS453Be ASAP.
There is no benefit for me in using this device.
Regards,

Maeffjus

Return to “Virtualization Station”