xavierh
Experience counts

Re: Run PLEX via container station

Post by xavierh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:22 pm

hooper303 wrote:
Trexx wrote:
xavierh wrote:
Trexx wrote:
freke wrote:My main reason for wanting of native app is that I'm a lifetime plexpass user and the native app keeps downgrading my server when ever there is a "new" version.

I am not sure what you mean by this statement. I have a lifetime plexpass and run the PLEX built native QPKG's that I manually install. I am currently running the DVR beta on one QNAP, and the new HW acceleration beta on a test box.

what HW acceleration? are we talking about Plex using the GPU on the QNAP?

Yes... currently in beta testing (plex pass users only).

Do we know which models will be supported? Any feedback on how it works?

BTW this is the MAIN reason why not to containerize or put Plex in a VM.

From my understanding all models that have Intel video (quick sync) are supported. You need to have plea pass and then download the version that has it enable. Keep in mind that they (plea team) removed that functionality on their latest releases

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QNAP TVS-951x QTS 4.5.1.1495 build 20201123 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453A QTS 4.5.1.1495 build 20201123 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch

xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 am

hooper303 wrote:
Trexx wrote:
xavierh wrote:
Trexx wrote:
freke wrote:My main reason for wanting of native app is that I'm a lifetime plexpass user and the native app keeps downgrading my server when ever there is a "new" version.

I am not sure what you mean by this statement. I have a lifetime plexpass and run the PLEX built native QPKG's that I manually install. I am currently running the DVR beta on one QNAP, and the new HW acceleration beta on a test box.

what HW acceleration? are we talking about Plex using the GPU on the QNAP?

Yes... currently in beta testing (plex pass users only).

Do we know which models will be supported? Any feedback on how it works?

BTW this is the MAIN reason why not to containerize or put Plex in a VM.

Running PLex inside a container is not the right way to go as regardless of how "light" docker is you are still putting a layer between the app and the hardware. having said that the version of plex that can do HW transcoding using the GPU of the NAS is available as a beta in the plex forums and only if you have a plex pass. the nas rneeds to have an intel CPU and a QuickSync video chip (thew TS-453A has it).

the latest versions of plex server do not have have that option

QNAP TVS-951x QTS 4.5.1.1495 build 20201123 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453A QTS 4.5.1.1495 build 20201123 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch

zer0defex
Starting out

Post by zer0defex » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 am

Hey guys, sorry for the slow response - yes, I'm still running Plex via the Container Station (Docker) and would never go back to using the official app. The main reason initially was all the lag between official and QNAP versions being released, but later it was more because of all the restrictions the QNAP version has for accessing and dealing with media files and other apps.

All the limitations you run into when trying to get downloading apps, file organization apps, movie/music/show categorization apps, tweaking look/feel, etc etc etc to work well together when you don't want to use QNAP's media apps or it's "one Multimedia folder to rule them all" approach to life are just killer. I have movies on external hard usb drives I want to pull into Plex and even something simple like that - isn't.

This is where I have to cheat a little bit. ;) So while I do manage Plex after install via the Container Station, the creation of the container itself is done via the ssh terminal. That gives you full access to all Docker capabilities that Container Station hides. After install though, the most I do to "manage" Plex in Container Station is an occasional power cycle to as the container I use automatically upgrades on power up to the latest version if you want it to without all the fuss and drama that is the official QNAP plex installs.

This is a simplified version of the command I use, but you'll probably have to tailor it a bit depending on your situation as you may not have your docker containers and/or media files in the folders I listed here.

docker create \
--name="linuxserver-plex" \
--net=host \
-h "qnaplex" \
-e VERSION=latest \
-e PUID=1001 -e PGID=100 \
-e TZ="America/New_York" \
-v /share/Docker/linuxserver-plex/config:/config:rw \
-v /share/Docker/linuxserver-plex/transcode:/transcode:rw \
-v /share/Media:/data/multimedia:rw \
-v /share/external/DEV3302_2/plex:/data/usb4tb:rw \
linuxserver/plex

Couple things:
- the config folder is where all the plex server files, movie metadata, plugin files, etc is placed
- the transcode folder keeps things cleanly separated for backing up only what matters
- pro-tip: put the transcode folder on your SSD cache drive if you have one for best performance
- if you have many folders where media is stored, just link them as sub-directories in a root media folder in the container. for example....

/usbdrive3/plex/movies
/share/Multimedia/Movies
/share/Downloads/torrents/Music

The command would look like this instead:

docker create \
--net=host \
-h "qnaplex" \
-e VERSION=latest \
-e PUID=1001 -e PGID=100 \
-v /usbdrive3/plex/movies:/data/multimedia/usbdrive3_movies:rw \
-v /share/Multimedia/Movies:/data/multimedia/multimedia_movies:rw \
-v /share/Downloads/torrents/Music:/data/multimedia/torrents_music:rw \
linuxserver/plex

And if I'm reeeeeealllllly lazy and want to avoid all file permission issues, I run it with this line instead which gives it full control on the box, but is horrible for security. Frankly, if someone wants to hack into my box and take my movies, I could care less, it makes life easier for me having it this way. lol

docker create \
--net=host \
-h "qnaplex" \
-e VERSION=latest \
-e PUID=0 -e PGID=0 \
-v /share/Media:/data/multimedia:rw \
-v /share/external/DEV3302_2/plex:/data/usb4tb:rw \
linuxserver/plex

oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:53 am

FANTASTIC!! :)
It's so good to finally see someone who has understood the potential in Docker.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
IMHO there are very few reasons left at all for using QPKG's for any apps - as long as your NAS is used for server tasks (and not as a workstation, although most workstation apps will also run just as well in Docker).
It's a long time since I uninstalled all my QPKGs and instead installed all I need in Docker, with the exception for some of the QTS system apps. :!:
ImageImageImageImage

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 am

Has anyone been successful at using the official plex docker here?: https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker

I have been trying to get pms-docker up using the code below, but cant even get to the first web page.

Code: Select all

docker run \
-d \
--name plex \
-p 32400:32400/tcp \
-p 3005:3005/tcp \
-p 8324:8324/tcp \
-p 32469:32469/tcp \
-p 1900:1900/udp \
-p 32410:32410/udp \
-p 32412:32412/udp \
-p 32413:32413/udp \
-p 32414:32414/udp \
-e TZ="America/Chicago" \
-e ADVERTISE_IP="http://192.168.1.10:32400/" \
-h PlexServer \
-e VERSION=latest \
-e PUID=0 -e PGID=0 \
-e PLEX_CLAIM="claim-5qSmqGp4gMde" \
-v /share/docker/appdata/plex:/config:rw \
-v /share/docker/appdata/plex:/transcode:rw \
-v /share/Music:/data/Music:ro \
-v /share/Pictures:/data/Pictures:ro \
-v /share/Music:/data/Music:ro \
-v /share/Movies:/data/Movies:ro \
-v /share/Videos:/data/Videos:ro \
plexinc/pms-docker
Model: TVS-872XT 16GB
Model: TS-877-1700 16GB

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Fri May 11, 2018 5:41 am

I just figured out....why bother.. linuxserver/plex updates to latest version if you wait a bit. The official plex docker version pms-docker is borked.

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 am

How does everyone handle port conflicts? For example I have Subsonic in a container that is using 5353 and 1900, but when I try to start Plex it errors out saying 5353 is already in use. I have the ports mapped manually, and so I could change Plex to do "-p 5354:5353/udp \", but then I assume nothing could find that service for Plex anyway if the port is masked as 5354?

Don
Guru

Post by Don » Fri May 11, 2018 6:29 am

Why use docker/container station? PLEX provides a QPKG to run on your NAS. It can be downloaded from their site and it is kept updated.
Read the Online Manuals and use the forum search feature before posting.

It is a recommended to use RAID and have external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

Submit bugs and feature requests to QNAP via their Helpdesk app.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 4.3.6.0895 | 40GB | 2 x M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 4 x M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (Cache) | 5 x 4TB HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-663 | F/W: 4.4.2.1320 | 16GB | 2 x M.2 NMVe QM2-2P RAID 1 (Cache) | 4 x 4TB RAID 5
Apps: Boinc, Squid, DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS, Entware, DLstation, +others

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am

Don wrote:Why use docker/container station? PLEX provides a QPKG to run on your NAS. It can be downloaded from their site and it is kept updated.

zer0defex sums it up below. It took forever to move subsonic to a new NAS a couple years ago (it's easier now), and why not run in a container? It just moves wherever you take it. And if you look at the versions, QNAP is 1.12 and Plex is 1.13 which adds DNG support I critically need.

zer0defex wrote:All the limitations you run into when trying to get downloading apps, file organization apps, movie/music/show categorization apps, tweaking look/feel, etc etc etc to work well together when you don't want to use QNAP's media apps or it's "one Multimedia folder to rule them all" approach to life are just killer. I have movies on external hard usb drives I want to pull into Plex and even something simple like that - isn't.

This is where I have to cheat a little bit. ;) So while I do manage Plex after install via the Container Station, the creation of the container itself is done via the ssh terminal. That gives you full access to all Docker capabilities that Container Station hides. After install though, the most I do to "manage" Plex in Container Station is an occasional power cycle to as the container I use automatically upgrades on power up to the latest version if you want it to without all the fuss and drama that is the official QNAP plex installs.

Don
Guru

Post by Don » Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 am

The QPKG version on the PLEX site is 1.13. It is always the same as all the other versions they release. They are all kept up to date and released at the same time.

I don’t use the one multimedia folder to rule them all. I have separate folders from my media and don’t have any issues with PLEX. I don’t have issues setting up docker nor with ports.

Sorry, I don’t see the need for docker but to each his own.

It is a recommended to use RAID and have external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 4.3.6.0895 | 40GB | 2 x M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 4 x M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (Cache) | 5 x 4TB HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-663 | F/W: 4.4.2.1320 | 16GB | 2 x M.2 NMVe QM2-2P RAID 1 (Cache) | 4 x 4TB RAID 5
Apps: Boinc, Squid, DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS, Entware, DLstation, +others

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Fri May 11, 2018 9:57 am

Don wrote:The QPKG version on the PLEX site is 1.13. It is always the same as all the other versions they release. They are all kept up to date and released at the same time.

I see said the blind man as he picked up the hammer and saw.... I will check out the one from the plex site! :D

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Sun May 20, 2018 4:00 am

So the qpkg runs as root, and just anyone can delete any media they want in plex. Eeeks! I guess that's why and back to trying to figure out a container so I can do ro on a mount. Yeah, the qpkg does work, but I don't want to risk my media collection to plex devs, or users for that matter.

So, I'm still curious if anyone has made it work in a container, and if so please share your run code.

-ML

Don
Guru

Post by Don » Sun May 20, 2018 5:16 am

There is an option to allow the deleting of files via PLEX. Don’t enable it and problem solved.

MikeLagit
Easy as a breeze

Post by MikeLagit » Sun May 20, 2018 5:40 am

I looked earlier and somehow missed that. Thanks a lot!

sandwiches
New here

Post by sandwiches » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Don wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 am
The QPKG version on the PLEX site is 1.13. It is always the same as all the other versions they release. They are all kept up to date and released at the same time.

I don’t use the one multimedia folder to rule them all. I have separate folders from my media and don’t have any issues with PLEX. I don’t have issues setting up docker nor with ports.

Sorry, I don’t see the need for docker but to each his own.
Here's a reason for you: viewtopic.php?f=177&t=149304&p=719760#p719783

(though, I have opted to sell my tvs-472xt due to Docker being cumbersome to my use case)

Return to “Container Station”