WD Red 3TB ticking

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
beginner
Starting out

WD Red 3TB ticking

Post by beginner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:18 pm

All disks are functional and health shows as good. Not too sure what I'm looking for but I have noted very high start_stop_count and power_cycle_count numbers in 3 of 8 drives. Should I replace them?

P3R
Guru

Re: WD Red 3TB ticking

Post by P3R » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:35 pm

beginner wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:18 pm
All disks are functional and health shows as good. Not too sure what I'm looking for but I have noted very high start_stop_count and power_cycle_count numbers in 3 of 8 drives. Should I replace them?
It would be the easy and expensive way out.

I probably wouldn't replace them if they work okay but please define "very high start_stop_count and power_cycle_count numbers". Please post the typical values together with SMART ID #9 Power_On_Hours for one of the affected disks and as comparison, the same three values for a non-affected disk with similar Power_On_Hours. Also what RAID level are you using for the 8 disks?

I think I remember a small batch of NASWare 3.0 Reds having this issue. See this thread.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

dolbyman
Guru

Re: WD Red 3TB ticking

Post by dolbyman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:55 pm

needed to dig up a 2 year old thread for that?

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”