New potential QNAP NAs user, need purchasing advice

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
ozbear
New here

New potential QNAP NAs user, need purchasing advice

Post by ozbear » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:05 am

Hi, I am new to NAS devices but an ancient IT professional.
I currently run various backup to several external USB 3.0 hard drives, and I think it is time to consolidate the sprawl.
I think my requirements are easily understood but am a bit bewildered by the vast array of QNAP devices and options so I seek advice,
My requirements are simple:
1) I seek NAS backup only. Not interested in apps, HDMI, FTP/SQL server, PLEX, or other fluff. I just want to do backups to eliminate multiple external external HD devices.
2) My PC is Windows 10.
3) My backup program is Acronis True Image 2021.
4) I backup daily, total backup requirements is approximately 1.5 TB, weekly, with daily backup of approximately 20 GB.
5) My network connectivity is hardwired Ethernet 1.0 GB

I think I have in mind a 4-bay QNAP device, populated with 4 WD 10 TB Red drives, as just 4 JBOD drives, no RAID., which would become mapped network drive from Window's/Acronis' perspective.
The reason why I say no RAID is this is a just a backup device. If a drive fails, replace it, the primary files are still on the host PC, which can be (re)backed up after the failed drive is replaced.
I would appreciate any guidance as which QNAP product would best fit my needs, since, I said, there are just too many options to get my head around.
Price point would bee under $1000 Australian dollars or thereabouts.
Regards, Oz

dolbyman
Guru

Re: New potential QNAP NAs user, need purchasing advice

Post by dolbyman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am

Do yourself a favor and go for RAID5... replacing a drive on failure is much more convenient that having to reinstall the NAS just because the system drive has failed (NAS OS is on the drives) .. Also you just have to deal with only a single volume (that volume can still have separate shares .. but it does not have to)

Don't go for a spanning JBOD .. if one drive goes, you would have to redo the whole system

For the type of NAS, go with an ARM system, if you need no other features, go with the cheapest current unit (should be the 431p+ in most regions)

ozbear
New here

Re: New potential QNAP NAs user, need purchasing advice

Post by ozbear » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 am

Hi dolbyman, thank you for your comments.
I will further investigate the 431p+ options.
Regards, Oz

Return to “Users' Corner”