Unbearable noise

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
DrippyLizard
First post

Re: Unbearable noise

Post by DrippyLizard » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:02 am

I too got a TVS-673e with 6 Seagate 8TB drives recently and noticed the vibration noise. It was indeed annoying and made me wonder about the reliability of the disks over time given the vibrations. Then I saw in this thread the rubber band and screws solution and thought I'd give it a try, beginning with the screws. With my Seagate disks all 5 holes in the trays were able to be filled with screws. I dug around in my screws bin and was fortunate to have found enough of the right type. After re-inserting the drives in the NAS voila!.....vibrations immediately gone and haven't returned. It was just as well that I didn't use the rubber bands since I wasn't comfortable with the idea of putting something that can melt with heat inside the NAS; besides, my NAS drive trays already had vibration dampening bushings installed. Suggestion to QNAP: Provide a quantity of this type of screw as part of the miscellaneous hardware that goes with each purchase. Assuming that most purchasers will likely fill the drive bays, I would suggest a total of 18-20 of these screws.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 am

DrippyLizard wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:02 am
Suggestion to QNAP: Provide a quantity of this type of screw as part of the miscellaneous hardware that goes with each purchase. Assuming that most purchasers will likely fill the drive bays, I would suggest a total of 18-20 of these screws.
Qnap have previously always provided at least 4 screws per bay for 3.5" disks in addition to the required 3 screws per bay for 2.5" disks. For some reason it appear they didn’t do that with the TVS-673e. :-0

It look like TS-673 have the screws but also with later models like the TVS-672n. Hopefully they have now learned the lesson that omitting the screws was a bad idea... :wink:

That was a good first post, welcome to the community! :D
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Wannavut
First post

Post by Wannavut » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi All,

I bought the 251+ about two years ago, and it has been making annoying vibration noise. I checked, and all hdd screws were tight. I thought it was caused by the hard drives (WD Red), so I kindda lived with it for the longest time. Recently I started looking into it again and found that others are having similar issues. I tried the rubberband method, but it didnt help. No extra screws aside from what QNAP gave me in the box, so I couldn't add more.

After trying many other methods to no avail (including using 3M double-sided tapes all around), I finally got it to quiet down. What I used was the Harbor Freight adjustable clamp. Squeeze it with the right pressure, and the noise was gone. See the attached photo.

I also have Synology next to it, and it has been perfectly quiet without any modification.

It's quite ashamed that qnap needs a clamp to eliminate noise while the Synology does not need one :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:27 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
Wannavut wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:19 pm
After trying many other methods to no avail (including using 3M double-sided tapes all around), I finally got it to quiet down. What I used was the Harbor Freight adjustable clamp. Squeeze it with the right pressure, and the noise was gone. See the attached photo.
Oh, you gotta submit that to There, I Fixed It.

And send a copy to QNAP R&D. :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Miscellaneous”