How can I set and utilize built-in DNSMASQ for internal server?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Nobo
Getting the hang of things

How can I set and utilize built-in DNSMASQ for internal server?

Post by Nobo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Since QTS 4.3.6, DNSMASQ is running on it, but there is no GUI setting allowed yet.
Is there any way to set my own hostname (i.e. myqnapcloud domain name), and utilize this as internal name server?

What I would like to do is..

1. Set DNSMASQ with my own myqnapcloud.com domain name and local server address (i.e. 192.168.0.2 localhost xxxx.myqnapcloud.com)
In the /etc/dnsmasq.conf, there are "addn-hosts", but it seems disabled. and there are no /etc/banner_add_hosts.
So, probably, following setting need to be enabled. Should I use autorun.sh? or is there any command to do this? (like, setcfg dnsmasq ...?)

Code: Select all

no-hosts
expand-hosts
addn-hosts=/etc/banner_add_hosts
local=/xxxx.myqnapcloud.com/
domain=xxxx.myqnapcloud.com
domain-needed
bogus-priv
Also, /etc/banner_add_hosts need to be added. but under /etc, the file will be erased every reboot. So I guess, autorun.sh will be necessary again.
resolv-file=/etc/resolv.dnsmasq is already set and /etc/resolv.dnsmasq is exist with real DNS setting. so it should be okay.

2. Set DNS server for all clients to the address of the QNAP unit. It may be DCHP server setting or network setting at each clients.

Then, if built-in DNSMASQ works fine, I should be able to use the same myqnapcloud.com address to access My QNAP unit from outside or inside.
Anybody has tried this yet? I would like to know how exactly to do this.

t0m450
New here

Re: How can I set and utilize built-in DNSMASQ for internal server?

Post by t0m450 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi!
Exactly my problem!
I want to seamlessly redirect my nextcloud server external address for internal accesses.
But the dnsmasq.conf gets overwritten every time.
Have you solved it someway?

Any clue is well accepted!

Tom

Return to “Miscellaneous”