HBS 3 App: can't uninstall or update ("HBS 3 Hybrid Backup and Sync")

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
wunderkessel
New here

HBS 3 App: can't uninstall or update ("HBS 3 Hybrid Backup and Sync")

Post by wunderkessel » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of trouble with my TS-451+ (Firmware 4.4.2.1270) recently:

I am unable to update or remove the "HBS 3 Hybrid Backup and Sync" app from the app center. I tried installing the package manually to get it updated, but it always hangs at 20 percent, as it does when trying a normal update. Uninstalling simply does not work - it takes forever and at some point the uninstall is silently dismissed.
Fun fact: HBS still does it's backups every morning to my external disk (when I did not fumble around with un/installing before).

Also noteworthy:
It takes ~2 hours to restart or shut down (it's waiting for apps to close). Which is not normal. It took about 10 minutes before for a whole restart.

Both issues are present for quite a while now (a few weeks) so I guess they are connected. This did not solve when updating to the latest firmware mentioned above, which I kind of hoped. I also uninstalled all apps that are not absolutely neccessary, which made no improvements (installed are next to the mandaroy stuff: Backup versioning, Qboost, QSync central, Surveillynce Station (which I stopped)).

I did not find information about this issue. I managed to find a note on how to uninstall an app via putty but I am not sure if this is the right way.
Maybe it's better to kill the HBS process (identify how?) and then try updating it?

Any help in this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Wunderkessel

wunderkessel
New here

Re: HBS 3 App: can't uninstall or update ("HBS 3 Hybrid Backup and Sync")

Post by wunderkessel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:57 pm

So after tubleweed went through this question, I just tried it. I managed to uninstall HBS 3 via SSH with the steps shown below.
I hope this helps other users to fix similar problems with any apps.

Using putty and the "admin" account that has full root rights I entered the app folder:

Code: Select all

cd /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HybridBackup
and I called the uninstall script:

sudo sh .uninstall.sh
The output was as follows:

HybridBackup stop
Stop RTRR/Rsync jobs
Stop CBS
Stopping...
pidfile /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HybridBackup/CloudConnector3/data/server/fastcgi.pid does not exist. Not running?
HybridBackup stopped
Stop Rsync
Stop RR2 server
Stop RTRR
Downgrade RTRR server
and on the last command it stopped again. After about 1h I came back to the PC and used <ctrl>+c to stop the command. This seems to be the difference between cancelling the uninstall from web and from console: The script cancelled the step it was stuck in, but continued to execute the rest of it. The output was:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rru/rwlock.py", line 205, in acquire
FileExistsError: [Errno 17] File exists: '/etc/config/qsync/qsync.conf.lock'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rr2_daemon_setting.py", line 241, in <module>
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rr2_daemon_setting.py", line 219, in main
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rr2_daemon_setting_base.py", line 680, in downgrade
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rr2_daemon_setting_base.py", line 384, in disable_jobs_in_qsync_conf
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rru/util_file2.py", line 125, in read_all_in_conf_with_lock
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rru/rwlock.py", line 235, in __enter__
  File "/home/sw5/build/qpkg/hbs/Hybrid_3/shared/rr2/bin/rru/rwlock.py", line 219, in acquire
KeyboardInterrupt
Unmount the RTRR mounted CIFS
NC unregister
Stop HBS Versioning script
Restore HBS 2 incoming job config file
Start BackupStation
Enable HBS2 RSYNC Schedule
HybridBackup stop finished
And the folder was gone. YAY!

Since the file "/etc/config/qsync/qsync.conf.lock" seemed to be trobule (and I already uninstalled QSync), it must habe been a relic of an improper shutdown, so I just deleted that file.

Then I removed the HybridBackup entry vom qpkg.conf and could immediately install it again from the web gui.
Even my old backup tasks are still there. Also, shutting down the NAS is now fast again (2-3 Minutes), a complete restart takes around 10 minutes. Great!

So I hope this will be useful to someone some day. Let me know if it is :-)

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:33 am

So I hope this will be useful to someone some day.
I do believe it will.
Well done! And thanks for sharing.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

mrbold
First post

Post by mrbold » Fri May 22, 2020 12:13 am

wunderkessel wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:57 pm

So I hope this will be useful to someone some day. Let me know if it is :-)
Hey dude, thank you for this! It saved my day. I had the exact same problem. Even a FW upgrade would not work as during the shutdown, it froze on the HBS3.

Subsequently, I just went to CLI (using Putty) and followed your method.

Job Done. Cheers.

wunderkessel
New here

Post by wunderkessel » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:15 am

@mrbold I am glad this helped you! :-)

Return to “Miscellaneous”