QTS stuck on loading, QFinder cannot find Nas either...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
moctodpanq
Getting the hang of things

QTS stuck on loading, QFinder cannot find Nas either...

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 am

Okay Guys, my NAS has been working fine. It still is fine. But I haven't logged into admin for awhile, and today I wanted to do it so that I can properly shut down my NAS. But QTS is stuck on loading... I searched the web and saw how someone fixed this issue by updating firmware through Qfinder. However, my Qfinder is saying it can't find any NAS. What is going on? Meanwhile, I can access my files, my Plex can play my movies, it's online and working fine. I tried to power it off by holding button for 1.5 seconds, but it's not responsive to that.

My gut feeling is that this has something to do with not being on top with the firmware updates. Any advice?

dolbyman
Guru

Re: QTS stuck on loading, QFinder cannot find Nas either...

Post by dolbyman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:31 am

NAS model ?

Approximate FW version ?

NAS open to the web ? (malware is known to keep the NAS busy)

Got good and recent backups ?

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:35 am

TS-453be

Approximate FW.. I dunno, last update must have been in June or early July.

I have a 4 bay Tr-004 attached to it. The main Nas is Raid 5, and the Tr-004 is also Raid 5.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:37 am

exposed to the web ?

is the TR004 in external mode and holds the backup ? .. if the TR004 is expansion mode and the NAS craps out, you will not be able to access the Data (so not a backup)

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:39 am

I believe it's external. I use main Qnap as plex server for a few family members, so I guess it is exposed?

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:40 am

Should I just yank the power? Fire it up again?

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 am

I was trying to read up on how to manually update firmware, but seems like you can't do anything if you can't get to control center.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:43 am

While an external reachable Plex server could be exploited (no issues are currently known) if you also exposed the QNAP web interface, you might be in trouble.

If you have good backups (not answered yet), you might aswell pull the plug and see if the NAS comes back

Manual updates can be done via Qfinder or SSH access

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 am

dolbyman wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:43 am
While an external reachable Plex server could be exploited (no issues are currently known) if you also exposed the QNAP web interface, you might be in trouble.

If you have good backups (not answered yet), you might aswell pull the plug and see if the NAS comes back

Manual updates can be done via Qfinder or SSH access
What activities would be exposing the QNAP web interface? I really don't know what I might have done, other than sharing plex with family. Visiting QTS admin once in awhile. I do give access to certain apps for network scanners where I input the NAS ip and my login credentials so I can scan to my NAS. Recently, I used a FILE EXPLORER app on a Android TV box. I inputed my NAS ip and login so that I can drill to my folders and get some files. Have anything I've said qualify as exposing to the web?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:20 am

"visiting QTS admin interface once in a while" is that from external ? .. if so .. you expose your NAS to the whole internet (unless you use a VPN for the connection.. no, not the ones that cost money)

If that is only from inside of your network .. it's ok

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:35 am

dolbyman wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:20 am
"visiting QTS admin interface once in a while" is that from external ? .. if so .. you expose your NAS to the whole internet (unless you use a VPN for the connection.. no, not the ones that cost money)

If that is only from inside of your network .. it's ok
You mean like at Starbucks or something? I've always logged on from my home. I've seen this blue screen before, a long while ago. I pulled the plug and it was all good. LOL! But that was during initial usage stage where I didn't have much data. I will copy and paste what's important to the TR-004. Then I'll yank the plug. But that's a long process, since there is a lot to copy. I don't really care for the movies stuff. I just need to get all my documents and family photos safe.

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:48 am

I think I'm on 4.4.3.1354

I can see this when login with a smartphone. I have a few options with the smartphone, like FIND MY NAS, Restart, Shutdown, ABOUT... when I click about, I can see the firmware. Find MY NAS works, it beeps. But Restart and Shutdown are nonresponsive. And as usual, if you click to DESKTOP VIEW.. you get loading blue screen.

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 am

So I waited till this morning when all my important files were copied to the TR-004, I then turned off the TR-004. Yanked the plug from the main nas and replugged and I'm back in. Blue screen is gone. Updating firmware right now. Any ideas why these blue screens happen in the first place? Could it be because I don't log in often and don't have the latest firmware?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:40 am

blue screen ? .. probably just cached data of your Web GUI still loading

moctodpanq

Post by moctodpanq » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:57 am

dolbyman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:40 am
blue screen ? .. probably just cached data of your Web GUI still loading
Would that cause Qfinder Pro to also not find the NAS? When the loading blue screen was gone today, the Qfinder was able to find my Nas again.

Return to “Miscellaneous”