trouble with data loss after migrating from TS-251 to TS-231P2

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
andres99
Starting out

trouble with data loss after migrating from TS-251 to TS-231P2

Post by andres99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:52 am

I am having some quite serious problems with QNAP NASes lately.

Our small company was using TS-251 since 2015 without any remarkable problems until the TS-251 crashed recently with just one error message by email ("System Fan Failure") and went offline. When I went to the spot, the fan was working fine but the NAS did not give any reaction. Bricked to the point of no return, I was told in the repair shop. Why, they could not explain.

The old NAS had 2x 14 TB HDDs as RAID1. So I took the disks out, made a backup, and we bought a new QNAP NAS asap, this time a TS-231P2. I followed the upgrade instructions from QNAP's website and inserted the 2 disks. So far, so good, the NAS recognised the old settings, users, shares. It also required a firmware upgrade, a file system check and some more things, which I did. I also took a peek into Qboost and let it "optimize". Finally everything seemed to work (except for the old Dropbox app, which just failed).

However, when I tried to install the HybridMount app, the installation failed because of a "data file error". Then I could not remove Qsirch (it just stayed "removing..."). Then 1 or 2 more apps failed to install.

Today, the employees discovered that the main folder of all our projects (critically important) was missing in the NAS. It had been multiple terabytes (the largest folder on a share), now all empty (the folder itself was still there but its contents gone). No trace in the log file or File Station. However, the storage used is still reported as "4.55 TB" while the actual sum of the folders now displayed is 1.3 TB. The missing amount is more or less the same as all the missing files.

Fortunately I had the backup. So I started to restore the folder by copying it (through a workstation, using Total Commander) from the backup station to the NAS. However, it has now happened multiple times that during a long copy operation, the NAS stops responding over SMB (still online via the web administration though). I can bring it back to SMB only by rebooting, which takes about 10-15 minutes (and it was so from the moment I switched the new NAS on). I am far away from the NAS at the moment, yet we need a solution to at least copy the lost folder back (with 10-15 minutes for reboot every hour, I do not know by when I can make it).

I am also feeling vague other anomalies, like settings not "taking" etc. I am somewhat stuck here now. It is critically important to have a reliable NAS but the situation is worrying. The company actually has to keep working on the NAS while I am trying to find a solution.

I must not do anything wrong, at stake is the work of more than 10 people. I should probably do a 10-second reset and reconfigure everything first but before that I would like to ask, having already experienced data loss, what would be the correct order of operations to resolve this.

dolbyman
Guru

Re: trouble with data loss after migrating from TS-251 to TS-231P2

Post by dolbyman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:03 am

251 (intel) to 231P2 are not migration compatible

https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration/? ... n=ts-231p2

solution would be to start the 231P2 (effectively a downgrade in Speed to the old NAS) from scratch and restore from backups

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:11 am

Thank you for the quick reply. I must have misread the compatibility table but now I at least know what the problem might be. I will reset the NAS (Reset all settings and privileges) and reconfigure.

I hope that I can keep the data files on the RAID disks (otherwise, the copying from the backup will take too long)?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:21 am

both drives will need to be formatted, restoring the backup depends on the overall size and amount of files

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Thank you very much! Ok, this is not so good news. But can I do as follows?

(1) I remove disk 1 and disk 2 from the NAS and delete all partitions on disk 1 in another device, while keeping disk 2 temporarily intact as an additional backup,

(2) I do a 10-second reset to the NAS

(3) I configure the NAS from the scratch,

(4) leaving Bay 2 empty, I insert only disk 1 (with no partitions on it) into the NAS and format it in the NAS, after which I create users, shares and privileges,

(5) I copy the backed-up data to Disk 1 from the backup I have (if anything goes wrong, I still have Disk 2 in reserve),

(6) I check and test the result on the NAS. If everything is working smoothly without any data loss, I delete all partitions of disk 2 on an external device and then insert it into the NAS (now both bays are filled) and format it, after which I will create RAID1 on the basis of Disk 1.

Especially, would step 6 be possible under such circumstances, i.e. will it be possible to create RAID1 on the basis of a formerly existing working hard disk and its contents?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:06 pm

a 10 second reset will not erase the system..so as soon as you insert an empy drive, the raid1 will start rebuilding

you need to start from scratch

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Ok, thank you! But technically, when I do a 10 second reset when there are no drives in the NAS and then insert one empty drive, there will be no data (no files or folders) to rebuild.

So what exactly should I do to start from scratch, and can I do it with just one of the disks, leaving the 2nd disk temporarly as one more backup?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:54 pm

erase both drives ...you cannot leave a drive in the nas ... as said before, the NAS is not a drive enclosure .. operating system is on the disks

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:16 am

Thank you! But I was not going to leave Disk 2 *in* the NAS. The question was whether I can start from scratch in this situation with only one empty disk *in* the NAS.

I want to leave the 2nd disk (which still has data on it) in reserve, outside the NAS, until I am sure that the NAS is actually working correctly. When I am convinced that everything is working with NAS and one disk, I would erase Disk 2 in an external device, and then add it to the NAS to have RAID.

More specifically, my question is, if I can start the system on the basis of the NAS + 1 empty (erased) disk, copy all the files from the backup to Disk 1 (which is, at that time, the *only* disk in the 2-bay NAS) and add a 2nd empty (erased) disk later.

In other words, can I build RAID later, when I have the NAS (and one disk with data on it) working?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:23 am

the old disk still has the System partitions and OS on it, so you will mess the system up upon reinsertion of that drive

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:02 am

If everything is working correctly, I will erase that disk too before inserting it into the NAS. So basically I will install an erased empty disk as the 2nd disk.

However, if anything goes wrong with Disk 1, I will have a secondary backup, just in case. The reason I am doing this is because I cannot be sure that the backup I made really contains all files. It probably does but It seems to me that the previous NAS was bricked during a backup operation.

EDIT: Basically I want to start from scratch with a single disk and then change it to RAID 1. When I read the user manual, I can see that this is possible, I just asked for a confirmation.
You can change the RAID type of an existing RAID group online, without losing access to data or any
interruption to NAS services. Changing the RAID type of a RAID group is called RAID migration. QTS allows
the following migrations.
Original RAID Type New RAID Type Additional Disks Required
Single RAID 1 One

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:28 am

yes you can migrate single disk to RAID1 .. just not with the old non formatted drive .. before you add the second old drive to migrate to RAID1 .. that drive needs to be cleared

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:30 am

Thank you very much! I will now start the process.

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:21 am

So far it has worked as expected without errors (with one disk so far). In some days, I will erase the 2nd disk and add it to the new NAS.

andres99
Starting out

Post by andres99 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:18 am

Adding the 2nd disk succeeded (I first deleted all partitions on the 2nd disk and quick formatted it just in case, then inserted it). The RAID conversion from single to RAID1 worked.

Return to “Miscellaneous”