system volume

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Jvpix.com
Getting the hang of things

Re: system volume

Post by Jvpix.com » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:15 am

what's wrong with another PC?

and bottom line is, I can't create multiple storage pools and save data to each of them? I assumed with a 6 bay nas that you can create multiple raid arrays. for example, two raid 1 arrays which would take up 4 bays, and another raid 5 array which would take up 3 bays. I'm not saying that's what I want to do, but I assumed someone would be able to do that if they wanted. I don't understand how the nas only lets you create 1 storage pool.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:05 am

why would you want to put the disk in another computer?..that computer would have to run all the time for backups (smb?)

creating all those raids..a waste of space ..extra administration...or if pooled together complete loss on failure of single array and you cannot upgrade the storage with larger drives

at the end of the day..set it up however you want ... you will come to your own conclusions

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 am

ok I see what you're saying about not putting the backup on another computer. but i wouldn't be backing it up all the time. i would back it up every week or month. this nas is for personal use, not business. but while thinking about it, its good to put the backup on another PC because if the nas itself fails, then I can't access anything. but if I store the backup drive on another PC, i can still get the data from the PC. anyways....

as for the raids, i don't know what you mean by "or if pooled together complete loss on failure of single array". you mean failure of single HDD?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:26 pm

no matter if business or private ..up to you and your need for backups how often and where you backup

external usb backups directly from the qnap can be attached to any computer in case of nas failure

check the manual for pooled single drives or pooled raid groups..if you use redundant raid groups, failure of the whole pool would happen when one raid group fails

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Right, so that's a reason to have multiple storage pools. If one pool fails, you don't lose all your data. But last night I realized why I couldn't use the other storage pool. It's because I had to format it. But I didn't have to format the first pool I made.

Return to “Miscellaneous”