SSD vs NAS SSD for system volume (apps)

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Jvpix.com
Getting the hang of things

SSD vs NAS SSD for system volume (apps)

Post by Jvpix.com » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying an SSD to use as my system volume where I will install my apps. is a nas SSD better to use than a standard SSD? if there are no moving parts, what will a nas SSD do that a standard SSD won't? I'm sure the answer is that it has a longer lifespan, but does it really since there are no moving parts?

dolbyman
Guru

Re: SSD vs NAS SSD for system volume (apps)

Post by dolbyman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:57 pm

never just use 1 disk for the system ..always raid1+

not sure what NAS SSD are..maybe higher endurance ?..you would have to compare manufacturer specs

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:14 pm

the problem is that my drives are all small and different sizes. I will be using them in JBOD. so its just a matter of time before I replace one of those small drives for a bigger one. then I have to reinstall my apps. but if I use one SSD for the apps, I don't have to reinstall the apps and plus I might get better performance with my nas (ie: better internally, not higher transfer rates). That's my thinking anyways.

Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:18 am

QNAP supports replacing smaller drives with bigger drives in raid sets. Once all drives are the same "bigger" size, then you can see the additional capacity.

Again don't use a single drive (SSD or otherwise) for your system volume.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
Model:TS-228a FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:26 am

ok so I have two 4TB and two 2TB drives. how should I use those?

and i shouldn't use one drive for my system volume so I don't lose the apps in case the disk fails? or is there more reason than that?

Bob Zelin
Been there, done that

Post by Bob Zelin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:08 am

no moving parts. My friend Jvpix - SSD's will fail. How to you prevent ever spending money ever again - YOU DONT - you will continue to spend money on technology until the day that you die.
That is how our lovely business is setup. I don't care if it's computers, wiring, internet service providers, SATA drives (SCSI drives, ATA drives), SSD's, M.2 NVM'e, cabling - etc. there is NO future proof.
You will spend money on technology longer than you will spend on your health and the health of your family. That is the way of the world. Your SSD's will one day fail. That is why there is a limited
warrantee on your SSD Drives.

You use your SSD Drives as a RAID 1 configuration if you want to keep your operation system on them (like you do now with the new QuTS ZFS operating system) - and your media on your SATA drives. You never keep your media on the SSD's - not unless you can afford all SSD's in your array. You must accept that THINGS WILL FAIL- you can only write to an SSD so many times before it fails.
We are now in 2020 - prepare for failure in 2025. Do not write back in 2025 and say "I bought these expensive enterprise SSD's, and now nothing will boot up". I am telling you - EVERYTHING fails, and it is YOUR responsibility to have a backup of this.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:28 am

i know they will fail. i'm not saying they won't fail. if I install the apps on one SSD and it fails, its not the end of the world because i'm not going to install tons of apps, just 4-5. ya maybe it is a pain, but not the end of the world. i will not use an SSD to store data. i only have the one SSD. and i'm not rich.

as for the mechanical HDDs, I have two 4TB and two 2TB. if I use two raid 1 arrays, I lose have my storage space. I can't use raid 0 cause they are different sizes and I don't want two arrays. i'd rather have just one. that's why i'm using JBOD. and I will have the data backed up on another big HDD somewhere else. I don't know how else to set them up without loosing half the space.

Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:41 am

Whichever drive (SSD or HDD) that you initially setup your QNAP with will house not only your apps, but QNAP configuration itself, etc. If that drive fails, you not only lose your app, but your QTS installation. Essentially you are rebuilding your NAS (minus any data stored on say a separate HDD).

If hours of your time to rebuild the system WHEN that eventually happens are worth less to you than say $50-$100US to get a 2nd SSD to use for a RAID-1 configuration, then go forth a be merry.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
Model:TS-228a FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:12 am

But I've been experimenting with this right now. I put in 2 disks in there and trying things and deleting the storage pools and volumes I make and nothing happens to the QNAP config or QTS installation.

Return to “Miscellaneous”