QNAP / Seagate Drive Noise

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Jay2jay99
New here

QNAP / Seagate Drive Noise

Post by Jay2jay99 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am

I've just started setting up a QNAP TVS-473 with 4x 6TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro 7200rpm drives (coming from a ReadyNAS with WD Red drives) and the noise from the new NAS was really bugging me, I was going to write a post to ask if there is a way to power off drives individually to try to locate what is making it but after searching the forums first (good boy) and finding a post 2016 that asked the same question I now understand there isn't (unless anything has changed since then).
In that thread, and one or two others I read, I came to realise that the Ironwolf drives are just noisy drives. In those scenarios though they returned the drives and replaced them with a different brand. Unfortunately that's not an option for me as two were second hand (still with nearly four years warranty so I was happy I could replace them with Seagate if they failed) and the other two I bought from Amazon warehouse but quite a while ago and I didn't get a chance to try them until now. So my question is.....

TL:DR
Is there any recommendations of silencing the Ironwolf drives a bit? The NAS is going to go in a cupboard in a hallway but I think it'll still be audible from outside (we haven't moved in to our new house yet to try). For example a sponge lined box would be great.... but it obviously would overheat in no time, I could sit in on sound a deadening mat, I don't know if there's ways of cushioning the drives? Any one have any tips or products they have used?

Many thanks,

Jason.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Re: QNAP / Seagate Drive Noise

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:55 pm

use lower rpm hdds.

store the qnap where it will least likely bother you, like in a cabinet or something (with sufficient ventilation or your hardware will overheat). i'm not necessarily recommending this specific one, but this is just an example of what a nas cabinet would look like (there ought to be some sort of fan ventilation at the top or the side)
https://m.made-in-china.com/product/SPC ... 26242.html

by default the qnap nas should be level and steady, so i don't feel a need for a deadening mat. because this implies it's not level and is causing rattling o-O;

another thing you can do is set the fans in the qnap to lower rpm setting. personally i use auto and the noise doesn't bother me, and i don't have to worry about the nas overheating. but it's up to your priority. i just rather my nas not overheat :X

If you want a sure fire method, price be **, you can setup your nas in a location in your building, and have an ethernet wire connect to it via a switch, then the ethernet goes through the walls to another room with another switch, which then connects to your client devices.

The noise won't bother you because the nas is in a separate room far away, but your connectivity performance is not impacted because it's still on cat6 ethernet speed. problem solved.

I did this myself when i was doing renovation (although i didn't do it for the noise, but rather to have wired ethernet performance to devices located in a separate room), so i had a long solid ethernet cat6 cabling go through my wall so i can connect it to a separate room via ethernet :} this is costly and not for everyone, but this ought to solve the problem.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) single disks.
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228
[^] QNAP TS-128
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Win10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Miscellaneous”