Not sure what is going on...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
neon555
New here

Not sure what is going on...

Post by neon555 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:01 am

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of an odd situation with my NAS, so I'll give you a quick basic overview.

I have a Qnap TS-412 with 2x4TB WD RED HDD's running in RAID 0.
A couple of days ago there was a power cut and it seems that I forgot to plug my NAS into my UPS (which has not been rectified).
This isn't the first time there has been an "unclean shutdown" but the is the first time I have experienced this issue.

So it started by my network Raspberry PI's not being able to access the network share where my media is stored.
I fired up my laptop and tried to access the network drive (this is mounted via Windows). At first it was having none of it and giving me the standard error.
Using the button on the front I powered the box down and powered it back up again, at this stage I could still see it via my router as being assigned an IP address.
After this I attempted to access the NAS directly via the web interface, it loaded - very VERY slowly - but after logging it in just sat on "Loading..." and never got to the actual web interface.
Looking at the front of the box I noticed the LAN light flashing a lot, so I removed the network cable temporarily thinking that perhaps the box was doing an integrity scan which could take some time and for which it did not need a network connection.

Going with the theory that it is indeed doing an integrity scan I decided to leave it for a couple of days. An hour or so ago it gave me a couple of beeps as if it was starting up again, so I attempted to access the web panel, only this time I got nothing.
Checking the router I could see that it had not requested an IP address (the box has a MAC reservation with the router, so is always given the same IP) and there was now no access to it at all. During all this time the LAN light on the front has been flashing, despite it not having been assigned an IP address.

Obviously I am begrudged to reboot it again, as if it is still doing its integrity scan I do not wish to interrupt it, but realise verifying around 3.6TB (the amount being used) can take a considerable amount of time, so thought I would pop to the forum for a bit of advice.
One idea that has entered my mind is to power it down, remove the drives, start it up and see if I at least get the admin pop up, but again I do not wish to interrupt it if it is indeed veryifying itself.

If anyone has any idea of whether my theory is correct, or an idea of what could be/is going on then I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you to anyone in advance for your reply, and I will try to answer any questions about information I may have failed to supply swiftly.

Much appreciated!
- John

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Not sure what is going on...

Post by dolbyman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:21 am

if you remove the drives, you will not see much else other than the setup screen , as the OS is mainly on the drives.

Have you tried login in via SSH ?

Code: Select all

cat /proc/mdstat
this will show you the current status of your RAID(s) md0 or md1 should be your data RAID.

RAID0 is extremely dangerous, so I hope your have backups if push comes to shove

neon555
New here

Post by neon555 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:15 am

This is impossible as as I said, the NAS won't get an IP address, so it is sat there with no IP address and so no way to SSH in to it.

neon555
New here

Post by neon555 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:16 am

Also apologies I meant RAID 1.
Each disk is mirrored to the other.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:27 am

mbluett
Starting out

Post by mbluett » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:40 am

You could try using the QFinder Pro tool (https://www.qnap.com/en/utilities/essentials).

I believe this tool accesses the server via MAC address (i.e., no IP necessary).

neon555
New here

Post by neon555 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi guys, thanks for all the info, just an update for you.
I followed dolbyman's advice and found out the system was fine by removing the drives and booting it.
After turning it off before inserting the drives (so the system didn't wipe them), I booted back up and it grabbed an IP address.
Managed to get in to the admin panel long enough to see that my hunch was right and the drives are indeed "Syncing" with each other.
It does seem odd that is has now gone offline again, in terms of the AP it just loads and loads, then I get one of a few error messages, sometimes a time out, sometimes a proxy redirection error, etc.

As per mbluett's suggestion I have tried the qFinderPro, which has been unable to locate the box.

At the point my plan it to give up a couple of weeks to do all the verifying and hope it pops back online.
As I said if does seem odd that it is unable to respond to me during this time via the AP or the QFP - it does respond to pings. Again my guess would be the CPU is maxed out 24/7 verifying all the data. The green lights on the drives are on solid and putting my ear to it, you can hear them working constantly, so here's hoping in a week or two I'll be able to access it again.

Thanks for all the suggestions and if you have any more - or perhaps any concerns, please go ahead and pop them here.

Return to “Miscellaneous”