[SOLVED]: Dealing With DoubleNAT Problem & Plex on my QNAP

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
mbluett
Starting out

[SOLVED]: Dealing With DoubleNAT Problem & Plex on my QNAP

Post by mbluett » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:35 am

I want to make sure my reasoning is correct about whether a VPN or Proxy scenario can resolve this problem.

I have a Plex server running on my QNAP. I want to make that server available remotely.

The QNAP (and Plex) is behind a doubleNAT. My NAT which I can control is behind a NAT which my ISP controls. This means that the IP address of the WAN interface on my ISP router is within private address space. Somewhere beyond that my ISP provides with a public address.

It is doubtful I will be able to ask them to bridge my connection through their network.

So, I was thinking of a VPN or proxy scenario.

If I setup a VPN on my server, I do not believe that will work because a computing device trying to establish a connection from outside will not be able to initiate a TCP session unless port forwarding was made available on the ISP router (not my ISP router). Am I right about this?
Last edited by mbluett on Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Dealing With DoubleNAT Problem & Plex on my QNAP

Post by dolbyman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:46 am

you can use a common VPN enpoint for NAS and clients.

e.g.

https://openvpn.net/vpn-server/

mbluett
Starting out

Post by mbluett » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 am

Don't understand how your reply applies to my question.

I know that the VPN can be the same endpoint because they are on the same LAN.

What I am not sure about is whether I should be using a VPN server on my NAS or a VPN server somewhere on the Internet as a solution to the DoubleNAT problem.

Maybe I need to make this more clear about the DoubleNAT environment.

My QNAP server --- (NAT network: 192.168.0.0/24) --- ISP Provided Router/Modem (ISP NAT Network: 172.16.157.0/24) ---- ISP Router (My Public IP)

The ISP Router that presents my Public IP I have no control over (i.e., I cannot do port forwarding on that router).

Because I cannot do port port forwarding that router will block any packets inbound to my server (or any other device on my LAN) when those packets are meant to initiate a TCP session. In other words, only outbound packets are able to establish a TCP session.

Because of this limitation, I am not sure whether my setting up a VPN SERVER on my NAS will help resolve the DoubleNAT problem.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:41 pm

vpn server is external (vps,aws,etc)

this way you can traverse any nat situation

that is how it applies

mbluett
Starting out

Post by mbluett » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:14 am

Ok, thank you. That confirms my suspicions.

Return to “Miscellaneous”