TS-210 still up to today’s use?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
nastynick
New here

TS-210 still up to today’s use?

Post by nastynick » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi everybody.

I just came back from a very long Around The World trip. And in a one of the dusty boxes with my old stuff, I found the TS-210 with 2 Seagate BarraCuda 2GB SATA 3GB/s HDD.
(BTW: I was quite lucky to remember my username and PWD).

I was wondering: are the device - it’s over 10 years old - and its setup still "good enough"?
I would reuse it as a Backup device, download centre and to stream 1080p movies via WiFi to my quite recent Smart TV, a Panasonic 55GZC954. (In particular: will the latter work well? I mean: ten years can be a very long time when talking about technology!)
Are many of you still using this NAS?

Or should I rather sell it to the highest bidder along with the desktops and other equipment I used at that time.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Nick

dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-210 still up to today’s use?

Post by dolbyman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:05 pm

If you are happy with the speeds and do not expose it to the web, it should be fine

nastynick
New here

Post by nastynick » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I dug a bit and found out that there’s no support for PLEX nor Twonky for this model (at least I couldn’t find an Twonky version for QTS 4.2.6). Therefore streaming (cable rather than WIFi for 1080p) wouldn’t work well.

EDIT:
Actually, the QNAP Media Streaming Add-on app works pretty well. Even over WiFi.
For some of the files, the Audio won’t work, though. Wasn’t able to figure out why yet. Same audio and video codecs work with other files.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:47 pm

twonky is still free on my 419p+ ...and older version.. but free nonetheless

Return to “Miscellaneous”