Would like a very simple mirrored raid and two unprotected jbod disks.

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Wattson
Starting out

Would like a very simple mirrored raid and two unprotected jbod disks.

Post by Wattson » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:04 am

Hi,

I have a 453be with 4x8tb disks(A,B,C,D). I would like:

A & B in a simple raid 1 (mirror) with one 7.x TB partition. This will hold precious things like family photos etc (also backed up periodically offsite)

C & D with:
3x300gb partitions, for ipcams
the rest 14.x TB in a JBOD for things like movies, etc that are backed up on physical media and can always get restored if needed.

Can someone tell me the appropriate TYPE of volumes I should set up for the above? I tried and am wondering if I did it incorrectly - I have a single thin volume on a raid 1 storage pool and set up 4xthick volumes on the others. I am getting threshold warnings for one of my ipcam volumes but I have threshold turned off there, I am assuming once it hits 100% on that volume it will roll and rewrite (like it did when I previously had the ipcam writing to a 200GB drive).

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Would like a very simple mirrored raid and two unprotected jbod disks.

Post by dolbyman » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:43 am

for that second volume (two jbod disks) ..just setup one volume for your data ...dont setup multiple thin volumes, it will just lead to confusion, if you lose oversight

Wattson
Starting out

Re: Would like a very simple mirrored raid and two unprotected jbod disks.

Post by Wattson » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 am

dolbyman wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:43 am
for that second volume (two jbod disks) ..just setup one volume for your data ...dont setup multiple thin volumes, it will just lead to confusion, if you lose oversight
I can't, my ipcams are hikvision and they require a dedicated disk or partition - upon setup it 'formats' a drive/partition (basically just fills it to capacity with placeholder files) so that recordings roll.

Question is, what kind of structure do I set it up with so qnap doesn't freak out when they are full? I said I used thick volumes, not thin.

Return to “Miscellaneous”