How to remove a badly installed app?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
jwhiter
Starting out

How to remove a badly installed app?

Post by jwhiter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:12 pm

I had a brain fade and inadvertently installed the Plex Media Server .zip file to my NAS instead of the .qpkg file. It shows up as a very nasty looking skull and crossbones in the App Center. I remove it using the button on the down arrow but it reappears every time the System firmware is updated. I'm not sure it's doing much harm but it would be nice to get rid of it. Can any body help? I should add that the PMS .qpkg file has since been installed and PMS is working fine.
Thanks in anticipation of your help.
JW

OneCD
Ask me anything

Re: How to remove a badly installed app?

Post by OneCD » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:55 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

jwhiter
Starting out

Post by jwhiter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:26 am

Thank you for your reply OneCD. I guess the command in the article you sent me to is a ssh command. I ran the command using Putty and got "rm /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/helpdesk: is a directory". I have no idea what to do with this. Generally, I have no idea at all about how to use ssh! Can you give me some guidance?
Thanks again,
JW

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:57 am

jwhiter wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:26 am
I guess the command in the article you sent me to is a ssh command. I ran the command using Putty and got "rm /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/helpdesk: is a directory". I have no idea what to do with this. Generally, I have no idea at all about how to use ssh! Can you give me some guidance?
Yes, you're doing the right thing. You got an error because I didn't realise the Help Desk app had sub-directories in that location. :oops:

Which means you'll need to perform a 'recursive' delete instead:

Code: Select all

rm -r /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/*

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

jwhiter
Starting out

Post by jwhiter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:02 pm

I ran the command and got a new empty line. So I guess it did its job. I will need to wait for the next firmware update to confirm that it worked, that is , that the skull and crossbones does not reappear. Thanks for your help. Regards, JW.

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:17 pm

jwhiter wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:02 pm
I ran the command and got a new empty line. So I guess it did its job.
Yep, that means it worked. :)

Return to “Miscellaneous”