Unable to delete folder / enable Network Recycle Bin greyed out

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
enuffsaid
Starting out

Unable to delete folder / enable Network Recycle Bin greyed out

Post by enuffsaid » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:04 pm

Model TS-219P+
Firmware 4.3.3.1386 Build 20200821

Hello all.

I noticed for the folders I created the option "enable network recycle bin" is greyed out. Found this helpful thread (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=135668) explaining the child folder cannot have Network Recycle Bin enabled if parent doesn't have it. Checked the parent folder ("Home" - in the root of my NAS). Option is also greyed out!

I created a new "TEMP" shared folder in the root and moved the contents of the above folder into it. For the Temp folder I can now enable network recycle bin.

Then I thought I would delete the Home folder and recreate it as a shared folder and move contents back. But for the love of God I cannot find a way to delete this folder.

Also the folders that I moved to the TEMP folder still show up in the File manager but when I click on them it says:
System Message
The file or folder does not exist.

Was up till 2 AM last night trying to figure this out and now I'm about to smash my NAS. I'm so frustrated.
Can somebody please tell me how to properly delete these folders?

Kind regards,
'nuff

enuffsaid
Starting out

Re: Unable to delete folder / enable Network Recycle Bin greyed out

Post by enuffsaid » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:35 pm

After another 30 minutes of going through menus and apps in the web interface, I have now managed to delete the subfolders of the "home" folder (Control Panel > Shared folders). But now the parent folder "Home" has also disappeared from the list. When I try to recreated it I get the error "Illegal name. Please choose another one." I can create "hom" or "home1" but not "home". I'm guessing this is now somehow become a hidden folder. How do I delete it?

EDIT.
I noticed when I FTP to my NAS I see a "home" and a "Home" folder. When I try to delete them through FTP I get the below errors:

"home" - Error deleteing file "home" - /homes/admin: Directory not empty
"Home" - Error deleteing file "home" - /Home: Forbidden filename

Any idea how to delete these folders?
Last edited by enuffsaid on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

enuffsaid
Starting out

Post by enuffsaid » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:16 am

Here are some screenshots which I hope will make things a little clearer. As you can see the "Home" and "home" folders are visible in WinSCP but not in the QNAP Shared Folders or FileStation 5. I can't delete them in WinSCP either:
QNAP - Shared Folders.png
QNAP - FileStation.png
QNAP - WinSCP Folders.png
QNAP - WinSCP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

enuffsaid
Starting out

Post by enuffsaid » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:47 pm

In my attempt to figure this out I used SSH and managed to delete a HOME folder. I still can't create a new Home folder (Forbidden filename) but now QSYNC gives me this error:

Unable to use Qsync. An error has occured in your Home folder. Contact your system administrator for help.

Used this link (VI) to try and fix it. http://unofficialqnapsupport.net/qnap-qsync-probl ... ow-to-fix/ Still same issue.

I dare not turn off my NAS now as I'm afraid it won't boot and / or lose data. 4 days of struggling just to delete a ** folder. What a joke this NAS is.

I am now copying off my data off the NAS to an external drive and have ordered another 4 bay NAS as I was considering an upgrade anyway.

Return to “Miscellaneous”