not enought space for snapshots

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Jvpix.com
Getting the hang of things

not enought space for snapshots

Post by Jvpix.com » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:02 am

Hi all, I have the TS-653D nas. I have the system volume on a 1TB SSD. it takes up the entire Storage Pool. the total amount of space the system volume is using is a small fraction of the drive, something like less than 40gb. but when I go to take a snapshot, it says I don't have enough space. I checked the manual for information on this and i found a section that shows how to reclaim some space. but when I do step 5, it says I don't have enough space. why is that? is it cause my system volume is taking up the entire storage pool? do snaps shots have to be stored in a volume other than that of the snapshots?

Configuring Pool Guaranteed Snapshot Space
Pool guaranteed snapshot space is storage pool space that is reserved for storing snapshots. Enabling this
feature ensures that QTS always has sufficient space to store new snapshots.
QTS 4.4.x User Guide
Storage & Snapshots 129
Pool Guaranteed Snapshot
Space Status
Snapshot Storage Location
Disabled Free space in the storage pool
Enabled Pool guaranteed snapshot space until full, then free space in the storage
pool
1. Go to Storage & Snapshots > Storage > Storage/Snapshots .
2. Select a thick volume, thin volume, or LUN.
3. Click Snapshot, and then select Snapshot Manager.
4. Click Pool Guaranteed Snapshot Space, and then select Configure.
5. Enable Enable Pool Guaranteed Snapshot Space.
6. Select the amount of reserved space.
Option Description
Recommended Reserve a percentage of the total storage pool
space.
Tip
The default value is 20%.
Custom Reserve a fixed amount of storage pool space.
7. Click OK.

P3R
Guru

Re: not enought space for snapshots

Post by P3R » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 pm

Yes snapshots are placed outside of the volume so if the volume use up the whole storage pool, you can't place snapshots in that pool.

Try to shrink the volume, select Manage on the volume and then use the Resize button.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 pm

Cool, I didn’t think you could do that with a thick volume. Can I make it bigger later on?

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:38 pm

Yes if you have free storage.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:27 pm

ok done. now when I go to take a snapshot, it says "after taking a snapshot, the read/write performance of the volume or LUN may be permanently decreased by 5-30%". is this for real?

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:01 am

Jvpix.com wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:27 pm
ok done. now when I go to take a snapshot, it says "after taking a snapshot, the read/write performance of the volume or LUN may be permanently decreased by 5-30%". is this for real?
Yes.

A snapshot is nothing more than a point in time when the time was frozen. As changes are made in data blocks on the disks from that frozen moment, those changes are "recorded" to be able to be rolled back to the frozen moment if required. That "recording" happen in real time as the changes are made and that is the overhead task added to all actual changes made on the disks. With few snapshots you'll be in the low end of their 5-30% scale and with lots of snapshots you'll be higher up.

You can read more about snapshots on this page and far down on that page you have a link to a white paper that explain in technical detail how Qnap snapshots work. If you're a techie, it's very interesting. :geek:

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:11 am

i'll read up on the first link later. but if I just have one snap shot, should I notice a difference in performance?

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:59 am

Jvpix.com wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:11 am
but if I just have one snap shot, should I notice a difference in performance?
Be aware that we're only talking about the data storage performance component in the system here and for a majority of users the storage itself isn't the performance bottleneck in the NAS...

In this case we're also talking SSDs. SSDs are for most usages much faster than traditional spinning hard drives and with a quick glance over on the subjects that you've discussed here earlier, my guess is that your usage is mostly media consumption. That's usually not very demanding on storage performance. If my guess is correct, I don't think that you'll have anything to worry about and that you could run several snapshots on the SSD system volume without noticing any performance issues from that.

Jvpix.com

Post by Jvpix.com » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:12 am

That's right i have an ssd for my system volume. I dont make many changes so I'll just create a snapshot and after a few days I'll delete it

Return to “Miscellaneous”