QNAP NAS has blinking red light and 2 simultaneous hard drive deaths-help please

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Mark86
New here

QNAP NAS has blinking red light and 2 simultaneous hard drive deaths-help please

Post by Mark86 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 am

Hi, I have a QNAP TS-253B. It has recently, about Sept. 17, 2020, died??? I was accessing a file on the NAS and all of a sudden my Windows laptop said that the NAS could not be found. I looked at the NAS and it was normal looking (green light, etc.), and then the light turned red and started flashing every 2 seconds. I have done everything that I was told to do, like turn off, unplug, remove hard drives, start up again, but still have only a red blinking light. The NAS is not seen on QFinder, nor my local network, it can not be PINGed.
Also, I have tried to access the two WD Red hard drives through my Windows computer with a SATA USB connection. They don't do anything. Neither of them will spin, I can't hear anything. My Windows machine does not see them, they are completely dead. Two at the exact same time. Note: I tested the SATA/USB connection thing with a different NON NAS hard drive and it reads it with no problem. I had to reset my NAS in November of 2019 due to QSnatch. What is going on? How to get my data off of my NAS hard drives? Thanks. Mark
Last edited by OneCD on Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated topic subject

jaysona
Easy as a breeze

Re: QSnatch Malware - What to do?

Post by jaysona » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:45 am

Mark86 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 am
Hi, I have a QNAP TS-253B. It has recently, about Sept. 17, 2020, died??? I was accessing a file on the NAS and all of a sudden my Windows laptop said that the NAS could not be found. I looked at the NAS and it was normal looking (green light, etc.), and then the light turned red and started flashing every 2 seconds. I have done everything that I was told to do, like turn off, unplug, remove hard drives, start up again, but still have only a red blinking light. The NAS is not seen on QFinder, nor my local network, it can not be PINGed.
Also, I have tried to access the two WD Red hard drives through my Windows computer with a SATA USB connection. They don't do anything. Neither of them will spin, I can't hear anything. My Windows machine does not see them, they are completely dead. Two at the exact same time. Note: I tested the SATA/USB connection thing with a different NON NAS hard drive and it reads it with no problem. I had to reset my NAS in November of 2019 due to QSnatch. What is going on? How to get my data off of my NAS hard drives? Thanks. Mark
Wrong thread, this does not sound like a Qsnatch problem, this sounds like a hardware problem.

Connect a keyboard and monitor to the NAS, turn it on and see what happens.

If the disks do not spin up, then there is your problem, dead drives - cause unknown, but not due to qsnatch.

[mods: should this be split to a new topic?]
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8Gig)
H/W: TS-509 Pro x2 / TS-569 Pro / TS-670 Pro (i7-3770S 16Gig) x2 / TS-853 Pro (8Gig)
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 384.18
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - DD-WRT v3.0-r39960M kongac
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r43028 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2020.3
Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)

OneCD
Ask me anything

Re: laptop said that the NAS could not be found

Post by OneCD » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:12 am

* split into new topic *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mark86
New here

QNAP NAS has blinking red light and 2 simultaneous hard drive deaths-help please.

Post by Mark86 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:44 am

I forgot to mention that not only did the 2 WD Red hard drives totally die, at the same time, so did the NAS. Without the hard drives in the NAS, the QNAP NAS has a blinking red light (blinks every 2 seconds) when booted as per QNAP's "ticket" instructions. As far as I know this means the NAS, and I suspect the hard drives, are completely dead. If I had 2 hard drives die at the same moment, shouldn't the NAS (without any hard drives in the unit) boot up? Shouldn't it have a green light, not a blinking red light? Thanks

P3R
Guru

Re: QNAP NAS has blinking red light and 2 simultaneous hard drive deaths-help please

Post by P3R » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:31 am

It sound like you may have had a power surge that damaged the NAS and your drives.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Mark86
New here

Re: QNAP NAS has blinking red light and 2 simultaneous hard drive deaths-help please

Post by Mark86 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:25 am

My data is well backed up. Perhaps it is AgeLocker Ransomware (MR1907)? My laptop is on the same circuit that actually goes through a Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD. It was not a power surge. Plus, we have very "clean" power here in our neck of the woods.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:32 am

AgeLocker would not kill the NAS and drives .. only the data

Even if possible, how would you extort data from a broken drive and device ? The victim needs to know where to pay the bitcoin to

Return to “Miscellaneous”