My NAS: QNAP TS-251+ Running Firmware Version 22.214.171.1241
I recently took some actions to make my NAS more secure (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=156488). It included setting up a VPN Server in QVPN using OpenVPN, so I can connect to my NAS remotely an not need so many open ports. That works well.
Now I would like to set up a VPN Client in QVPN using my Widnscribe service so that, at a minimum, my torrenting is routed through the VPN. I use qBittorrent. I would like all NAS traffic to go through the VPN but I have two concerns: 1) it might slow down things like streaming from my plex server, and 2) does that route local traffic through the VPN as well?
I have both the VPN client and Server both setup and connecting properly. But I don't understand how traffic is routed. And I don't seem to be able to set my VPN Client setup as the default gateway (which I assume means all traffic going in and out is routed through my Windscribe VPN). I get an error when I try saying that it can't reach the network even though it says it's connected in QVPN.
1. Why can't I set the VPN to default gateway?
2. Is there a way to direct only certain traffic/apps through the VPN without setting it to default gateway?
3. Are my concerns about slower plex streaming warranted if running all traffic through VPN?
4. Is this even the best approach for trying to secure all traffic to and from my NAS? I don't want the VPN on my router.
5. Can someone point me to a very simple explanation of how QNAP routes traffic through the various adapters, and VPNS (server and client) on my network?
Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
1 post • Page 1 of 1