What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
amyflavored
New here

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by amyflavored » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:36 am

I'm using mine for a work and media storage backup. I'm hoping to use it in some interesting live pod casting and perhaps a mini render farm at some point.

jcuk
New here

Post by jcuk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I've got a TS-101 and a small home network with a couple of PCs and laptop. So far I'm using it for:
- Printer server
- General file server on internal 500Mb HDD
- Storage for my ripped DVD collection on 1.5Tb eSATA drive
- Twonky to stream MP3s / video /photos to Xbox via XBMC, Xbox 360 and laptop.
- MySQL server used by Mediawiki for general note keeping / to do lists etc. (a bit slow but tolerable)
- Transmission for offline downloads of torrents (much better than QDownload)
- Using it as a PVR to record BBC TV via the get_Iplayer perl script. (absolutely excellent - well recommended)

Most of this was installed through optware.

Mildahp
Starting out

Post by Mildahp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 am

kevinb wrote:I am going to hit mine with a large hammer,its a piece of ** and the support is hopeless

i wouldn't say it better... ts 509 kept rejecting hard drives ( data lost ) therefor bought new 2x drives ( old ones were fine ) right ... so started over with no data at all ,, after month or so of downloading new stuff another drive failed while after 2nd drive appers to have bad sector... so again lost raid 5 = lost all data WTF.. ( seams to me that qnap have to be working together with some back up station and every day back up all my data from qnap because you can never know when server will refuse working again ) so i suggestion is to buy one proper one which will be working without back up station because this server should be actually back up station... se here we go have had to bay another qnap server TS 639 to be able to next time when server TS 509 fail ( which is very offently BTW ) still have some data... BUT ts 639 another rubish... takes 15 mins to boot up and 20 mins to shut down...sometimes just get dissapeared and can't access for aprox. 15 mins at all then magically come back to be working for a while before again get dissapeared... i am very ** of with these serve.... and ** off beging Qnap support every day to fix my server cos no access can be made!!!!!! anyone else have these problems too???

marco.stanzani
Starting out

Post by marco.stanzani » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm

- svn server
- ftp server
- twonky media
- web server

starcat
Getting the hang of things

Post by starcat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:27 am

When we talk about (slow) Qnap performance lets not forget that there are the 509 and 809 models offering *alot* of performance. You can upgrade your 509 to 4GB memory (seing only 3.5GB as it is 32bit) which vastly improves performance, etc...
TS-509 Pro. Firmware 3.8.1 Build 20121205
5x Seagate ST31500341AS LC1A Raid 5

chrisskaug
Starting out

Post by chrisskaug » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:33 pm

- Storage for all local clients windows and 'nix based computers and devices. (Amongst them a Popcorn A-110)
- HTTP - I run four websites of it. Only private sites (a techblog and such), so not too many users, but still.
. - Using the builtin MySQL server for the databases
. - I run webalizer for statistics
- FTP - used by myself, my friends and family for sharing files
. - I got tired of the builtin FTP server and its limitations, so I now run pure-ftpd with my own custom config.
- SSH - Replaced the standard sshd to be able to support multiple users. Using it for remote backup operations and the like.
- AjaXplorer - used by myself, my friends and family for sharing files
- Lucid Desktop - For simple documents, checking email etc.
- WakeOnLAN - Use it to wake up my computers from remote locations
- Transmission BitTorrent Client - And Transmission Remote Gui on my desktop machines
- IP Camera

Also worth mentioning I guess is that available from AjaXplorer and FTP there are also windows and linux shares mounted in the share directories so that the users can access those shares as well. Great product! And this forum is really great for support and tips/hints/tweaks
Last edited by chrisskaug on Thu May 03, 2012 12:53 am, edited 8 times in total.

AlYork
Starting out

Post by AlYork » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:01 am

Considering using it as a very expensive boat anchor if I can't get Windows workstations to connect to it!!

Update several weeks later:

Now working whew. Using it to replace a Windows 2000 Server. Seems to be doing its job although had to add network printing drivers and ports to every workstation. Windows still not totally happy, had to use the "\\ip-address\share" technique to connect everything.

fmorales
Starting out

Post by fmorales » Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 pm

We use it for VM backups solutions for ours Vmware ESX .... we use ghettoVCB and all night we copy all ours VM´s to
one TS-859 pro with (8 x 2T HDD) by NFS and it works fine.

Thanks.

stuartc
First post

Post by stuartc » Sat May 15, 2010 4:29 am

Currently waiting for the RAID to build.. only had it delivered today.

TS 410, RAID 5 over 3 x 1TB WD Caviars

My hopes (dreams) are to:

- primarily media server for conneciton to XBOX since the untimely death of my W7 windows media center PC. when this is ressurected QNAP will continue to provide the storage for thsi via ISCSI or CIFS Network drive.
- backups for laptops and PCs, currently still trying to find the best backup software to use for this. trialing Idlebackup at the moment.
- Print server for canon MP150
- Virtual machine storage for test lab (VMWare VSphere, Xenserver and Hyper V)
- Remote Shell for access to resources in my flat via SSH
- BitTorrent and direct HTTP downloads while I'm away from home
- Web Server - PHP + MySQL for lab web development. This is not going to be opened to the internet as I've nto been able to check how secure QNAP is as a webserver. Any information welcome.
- ITunes server although I'm not sure hwo this is meant to work.

Will update once I've actually got it working.

Rick1486
Getting the hang of things

Post by Rick1486 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:14 am

It's now a paperweight since it won't even turn on.

hispanico
Starting out

Post by hispanico » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:25 pm

In my home i have 2 PopConr A-200 connect to TV HD Sony 40". These units are connected trough giga-network to my QNap 439 II Pro (8TB with raid 5), where are stored in different folders:

- movies on the cinema
- movies rip of dvd or blu-ray (mkv and avi)
- tv-series
- musica (share also with iTunes)
- photos

From A-200 i have a index (http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/ ... ins/Themes) to load frindly all my share.
3,6TB Total used at this moment

Hispanico

sl1000
Experience counts

Post by sl1000 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:11 am

Rick1486 wrote:It's now a paperweight since it won't even turn on.

201/209? replace the powerbrick and it' will run fine again
Try searching the perfect online manual, forum or the Wiki for answers before posting
### Retired developer ###

robert chew
Starting out

Post by robert chew » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:07 am

I am one week new to TS 259 + Pro (500Gb RAID 1 with Firmware 3.3.2), intending to replace my aging Windows 2003 Server.

When it goes live, it will become a file server for 40 Window users (Win 95 + Win 98 + XP + Win 7) and 3 Ubuntu users. I do not know how well this NAS will serve all these users during office working time, in terms of speed, efficiency and reliability. But I willing take the risk to move on to NAS server, and prepare to junk it if it does not work to my expectation. It has been very frustrating to setup my 259 Pro to work in the way I want to, but I have not reached the stage to sling it out of the window yet!

ukez
Know my way around

Post by ukez » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm currently kicking it up and down the street as its randomly dumped all of my files YET AGAIN!!!!!

If anyone else wants to KICK IT, hola at me!! :cry:
Last edited by ukez on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoe's, that way if he's angry he's a mile away and barefoot.

ukez
Know my way around

Post by ukez » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 pm

robert chew wrote:I am one week new to TS 259 + Pro (500Gb RAID 1 with Firmware 3.3.2), intending to replace my aging Windows 2003 Server.

When it goes live, it will become a file server for 40 Window users (Win 95 + Win 98 + XP + Win 7) and 3 Ubuntu users. I do not know how well this NAS will serve all these users during office working time, in terms of speed, efficiency and reliability. But I willing take the risk to move on to NAS server, and prepare to junk it if it does not work to my expectation. It has been very frustrating to setup my 259 Pro to work in the way I want to, but I have not reached the stage to sling it out of the window yet!

Good luck with that :lol: I've just had my clients scream at me because my QNAP has failed me again.
Before you criticise a man walk a mile in his shoe's, that way if he's angry he's a mile away and barefoot.

Return to “Miscellaneous”