What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
akashra
New here

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by akashra » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:42 am

Mines a TS-410 w/4x2TB drives in RAID5 - I'm primarily using it as an SVN server.
I installed Java and JIRA on it, but it was unusably slow - but if I ever end up getting another x86 version, I'll give it another go.

After that it's a dumpbox for about 1000GB of video files, plus it's the autosync location to store the video from my helmet camera (used for XC cycling). It also hosts Time Machine backups of my MacBookPro, and stores ~1500GB of RAW photos.

Sometime in the next week I plan to set it up to automatically pull down new files from my seedbox.
Sadly I haven't come across a bittorrent client for it that does what I want - that it, is needs to be able to support both peer blocking AND multiple time schedules (not single schedule like transmission).

shiningstar
New here

Post by shiningstar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 pm

I've got a TS-459U RP (btw it's great!)

On my Qnap I:
-Store all the backups off my companies clients
-Run Eye OS for the high school of my little brother so they can do all their schoolwork on the sever. That way they can have access to their files from everywhere
There are already 2 full classes working with it if they like it the whole school will take it in use.
-Run Ventrilo server to connect with customers without having to use a phone.

My server is colocated in a server park in amsterdam to be sure that I have high availability.

But I'm not only doing boring things with my Qnap I also have sabnzb+ and I'm trying to get a movie streaming site running on it.
I love music so I also have Jinzora a online music jukebox system

ZizaX
Starting out

Post by ZizaX » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 am

Hi gents,

I have recently bought TS-459 Pro+ and I would like to use it for running DC++ hub, possibly under Verlihub. Unfortunately I am newbie and have no idea how to reach this.

Is it possible or not? Any suggestions?

Apart from that, I am using it for BackUps of 2 laptops, sharing the movies and music with my mates and picture storage.

internaut19
Experience counts

Post by internaut19 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi world,

I am the proud owner of a TS-219 and I have to say that I am very satisfied with it.

My main use for the Qnap is to store my multimedia collection so I can access it easily from my PCH-100 and Xtreamer.
After that I like to use transmission to download torrents rather then having my pc ON all day long and the webserver for when I like to test/create some PHP scripts.

@ZizaX - I managed to compile Verlihub on my TS219 a while back, if you want I think I can help you compile it.

Cheers,
Cristian.
TS-219
TS-439 PRO II

simalien
New here

Post by simalien » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:04 am

Hey all.

My TS-219P is used for the following

Media server via Twonky to PS3
Web Server - or used to be until I rebuilt the raid and now Im trying to get it sorted out.
PC backups
Print Server
FTP Server for when I need files and Im out of the office.

Hopefully I will have it up and running again soon as it's sick at the minute. :cry:
I will be posting in these forums again soon for some advice wich I hope I will understand and know how to implement..

Kusanagi
New here

Post by Kusanagi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:08 am

Hello world,

I got the TS419p, been using it as a door stop, plant pedestal, foot rest etc, to add more weight, I put in 4x 2T Samsung drives, hmm... what other uses? ;)

drcharlyws
First post

Post by drcharlyws » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:42 am

I am a new user. I am managing backup of family photos and movies, iTunes server for household and maybe hosting my webe site at a later date.
Working through a firmware update and configuration issue right now with Support. Hoping to not lose family archives in the process.

Love the availability of 4.2 TB of RAID 5 backup and storage in my home for under $750.

Thanks QNAP!
Charly

pol20
Starting out

Post by pol20 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm using my Qnap for:
- backup
- storage
- download station

a5ian300zx
Know my way around

Post by a5ian300zx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 am

Hi,

i use mine for the following

1) NFS streaming to my HDI Dune player (Hd movies /pics /music)
2) storage device my my files for remote access across all pc/mac within house
3) FTP Server for accessing my files on the go inc uploading and downloading on from iphone.

i also use the WOl function to wake up over internet so i can access all my files on the go.

a5ian300zx
NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB Ram + 8 x 3TB WD Red in Raid 5 + Intel X540-T2 10Gbe Firmware: QTS 4.3.4 Build 0597

Server: SuperMicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T + 128GB Ram + Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2

qunappo
Starting out

Post by qunappo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 pm

a5ian300zx wrote:Hi,

i use mine for the following

1) NFS streaming to my HDI Dune player (Hd movies /pics /music)
2) storage device my my files for remote access across all pc/mac within house
3) FTP Server for accessing my files on the go inc uploading and downloading on from iphone.

i also use the WOl function to wake up over internet so i can access all my files on the go.

a5ian300zx

I use my NAS QNAP TS219p+ for backup, storage
I would use it as FTP Server for accessing my files on the go inc uploading and downloading
how is it possible wake up it over internet ?
thanks

a5ian300zx
Know my way around

What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by a5ian300zx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 am

Hi,

I use the wol feature of my router/modem, I have setup a dyndns account Which I have configured to login to my router via Internet and then use the routers wol to wake up any device on the network that supports the feature, this was the simplest way I found to do this. You have to setup port forwarding if your router does not have wol but I have not tried this just read about it.

A5ian300zx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 16GB Ram + 8 x 3TB WD Red in Raid 5 + Intel X540-T2 10Gbe Firmware: QTS 4.3.4 Build 0597

Server: SuperMicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T + 128GB Ram + Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2

qunappo
Starting out

Post by qunappo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 am

hi can you explain very very simple what I have to do?
I have an account over dyndns (dynamic ip)
have i to make an hostname?
but which IP address I have to set in my hostname?wan ip or lan ip?
if wan, my wan ip change every internet connection
which is the name of the option of the router? i have a router netgear dgn3500
where I choose the device to switch?
thanks!

internaut19
Experience counts

Post by internaut19 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:08 pm

All you have to do is go to the webinterface->System Administration->Network->DDNS tab, enable the service and then input
the username and password that you use to login into DynDns and for the hostname you will have to enter the web address you choosed when you created the DynDns account. ex:myhost.dyndns.org ... and because you have a dinamic public IP address (WAN IP) check the box next to ->Check the External IP Address Automatically and select a time period, 1 hour for example. This will report to DynDns the current public IP address every 1 hour.

More info here -> Qnap Wiki

Cristian.
TS-219
TS-439 PRO II

qunappo
Starting out

Post by qunappo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 am

I did this
but how can I switch on the router over internet?
thanks

internaut19
Experience counts

Post by internaut19 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm

If the router is not ON in the first place, how do you connect to the internet??

If you would like to be able to configure the router over the internet, you could do some port forwarding in the router and 2 solutions come to mind:
Log into the router web interface and activate Remote Management PORT and a port number that isn't in use by any other application, ex: 7000 (the name of the function might be a bit different).
In order to access the router you will have to go to, ex: "http://myhost.dyndns.org:7000"
where "http://myhost.dyndns.org" is the hostname you said in the post above that you already set it up and "7000" is the remote management port; the prompt to login to the router, should appear.

If your router is stubborn like mine, when I activate the remote management option, it doesn't want to respond so I had to come up with a work around:
Example:
Router LAN IP address: 192.168.4.1
Router Web Interface Port accessible from LAN : 80
Router Web Interface Port accessible from WAN : 5000

I forwarded all the PUBLIC traffic from port 5000 to the INTERNAL router port 80, so if I want to access the router from the internet, I go to "http://myhost.dyndns.org:5000" and I get the router login page.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
If not, give us more details.

Cristian.
TS-219
TS-439 PRO II

Return to “Miscellaneous”