cryptsetup preventing spindown?

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
marc.garcia
Easy as a breeze

cryptsetup preventing spindown?

Post by marc.garcia » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:02 am

Hello,

My nas has not been able to spindown for weeks now. It amazes me that after 8 years of owning a QNAP very frequently I end up wrestling with this very problem. Just uploaded the output of blkdevmon here http://pastebin.com/wiNrJ24S

I would appreciate it if you guys could take a look at it and let me know what your thoughts are. My understanding is that cryptosetup is the culprit, and somewhere in the forum I read something related to RIP interference with the router?

I thank you in advance,

monellrt
Know my way around

Re: cryptsetup preventing spindown?

Post by monellrt » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:44 am

I have the exact same issue with Notes Station. When it is loaded then the drives never spindown. Once I removed the application things worked again. QNAP is aware of this issue and has been for over a year now.

marc.garcia
Easy as a breeze

Post by marc.garcia » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:06 pm

silly me, I had understood that disabling Notes Station was the solution and so I did but did not solve the problem. The solution is actually what you said: remove Notes Station. Notes Station introduces a few lines in crontab and one of the lines contains a mistake in the syntax. I simply don't understand why that has not been corrected already because is pretty basic assessment of crontab reveals that mistake.

I had not checked crontab because all the qkpgs were disabled, but Notes Station qpkg is so poorly designed that it even can't remove the entries it adds to crontab when you disable the package. You really have to uninstall it for those entries to be removed.

Amazing.

monellrt
Know my way around

Post by monellrt » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:22 pm

Now it would help if you put in another ticket with QNAP to address the issue with "Notes Station". Like I stated earlier I have had this documented issue for more than 1 year now and they keep telling me that they will work on it after the next firmware release. I think the more people that demand that they correct this issue, the sooner it may get addressed. The real issue is that QNAP keeps releasing items without the proper testing.

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”