Kernel error prevents harddisk standby

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
oyvindo
Experience counts

Re: Kernel error prevents harddisk standby

Post by oyvindo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:35 am

schumaku wrote: - as per QNAP you should have received a BIOS update SOP a while ago.

What does SOP mean?

Today I received a QTS update, but that isn't the same as a BIOS update, or.... ?
ImageImageImageImage

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:03 pm

oyvindo wrote:What does SOP mean?
Standard Operation Procedure ... business slang. In this case it's the how-to-install/update the BIOS.

oyvindo wrote:Today I received a QTS update, but that isn't the same as a BIOS update, or.... ?
No, not the same. To minimize the operational risk - a NAS with a defunct BIOS install does not help anyone - QNAP does hand out BIOS updates case by case if required only only.

oyvindo
Experience counts

Post by oyvindo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:36 pm

schumaku wrote:QNAP does hand out BIOS updates case by case if required only only.

Understandable. And that's what I was looking for; a link to a QNAP webpage where I could find a list of available BIOS versions for my NAS's and a guide on how to check if I'm fully updated - and if needed - the ability to download a newer BIOS if one is available and if I wanted to do it.
This is what you typically find easily on most web sites for PC manufacturers (Dell, HP, Asus, etc.), but I've never been able to find this with QNAP.
ImageImageImageImage

Moondiver
Starting out

Post by Moondiver » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Just a final feeback from me.
I updated the bios with version SAB6AR11, that I have received from the Qnap helpdesk. Below this version the error still occures.
This morning the Qnap boots at 6:00 based on my energy plan and no errors appear in the kernel log. The hard drives reach the power save / stand by mode. Problem solved.

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”