a new take on HDD spindown?

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
pilaQ
Starting out

a new take on HDD spindown?

Post by pilaQ » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:12 am

We agree that last few fw versions kill disk sleep/suspend. On my TS-253A, fw 20161021-4.2.2 and 20161102-4.2.2 ar useless. As soon as I load old - 20160901-4.2.2 - I am fine.

But, I noticed something else. I do not allow devices to go to the Internet on their own. My QNAP with the above mentioned two fw versions is the king of stupid! It made almost 1 GB of traffic without asking anyone. All I asked it to go online was NTP. NTP accounted for 4.16 kB in that month! OK, this 300 mb peak was me updating the fw :)

So, if thing transferred 30 MB daily over the Internet without being used at all, obviously, it had to be saved somwehrer. That is killing disks, obviously. It does not do that in the good old fw version.

E.g. every 10 minutes it seemed to check its outside WAN IP address (Akamai) with DDNS turned off! DownloadStation was guzzling about 30 MB per day. After a check, I was able to bring newer fw versions to about 80 kb every day, but that makes also no sense. Remember: I asked it only to do NTP! 4 kb per month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

schumaku
Guru

Re: a new take on HDD spindown?

Post by schumaku » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Lol ... funny reading just out of a tech seminar with a major HDD maker. No, no activity is killing disks. Except of physical shock as earthquakes, heavy vibrations, or electric shock (overvoltage) probably. Disks are built to run 24*7, and handling hundreds of TB written yearly. Disks are designed to work at least for the standard manufacturer warranty time (three years for consumer NAS, five years for business NAS or enterprise class storage. The MTBF is at least on 1 Mio hours, in the business class 1.2 Mio hours or longer. The issue with the Network & Virtual Switch App prohibiting (resp. keeping the disks up) is known, and will be fixed over time again.

From here - nothing has any context with the (lack of) HDD Spindown.

pilaQ wrote: I do not allow devices to go to the Internet on their own.
Well, ... then block any access for the NAS IP address incoming and outgoing on your router ... except of NTP (123/UDP).

pilaQ wrote:So, if thing transferred 30 MB daily over the Internet without being used at all, ...
Unlikely NAS initiated traffic. As I've mentioned before: Download Station or any other BT or P2P stuff active. Download Station is participating in the BT network, handling DHT, regardless if you are "downloading" or not. Disable it if you can't deal or accept this.

pilaQ wrote:E.g. every 10 minutes it seemed to check its outside WAN IP address (Akamai) with DDNS turned off!
Conclude, there must be another service making use of this ... check myQNAPcloud and it's own DDNS for example. And no: I won't promise this can be stopped.

The RSS activity might be related to checking for firmware updates, or the App Center looking for App updates.

And no: The NAS does not play with Firefox, Chrome, or Youtube on it's own, too.

pilaQ wrote:Remember: I asked it only to do NTP!
And of course your NTP config does not require DNS, too.

markr71
Starting out

Re: a new take on HDD spindown?

Post by markr71 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:38 pm

pilaQ wrote:We agree that last few fw versions kill disk sleep/suspend. On my TS-253A, fw 20161021-4.2.2 and 20161102-4.2.2 ar useless. As soon as I load old - 20160901-4.2.2 - I am fine.

But, I noticed something else. I do not allow devices to go to the Internet on their own. My QNAP with the above mentioned two fw versions is the king of stupid! It made almost 1 GB of traffic without asking anyone. All I asked it to go online was NTP. NTP accounted for 4.16 kB in that month! OK, this 300 mb peak was me updating the fw :)

So, if thing transferred 30 MB daily over the Internet without being used at all, obviously, it had to be saved somwehrer. That is killing disks, obviously. It does not do that in the good old fw version.

E.g. every 10 minutes it seemed to check its outside WAN IP address (Akamai) with DDNS turned off! DownloadStation was guzzling about 30 MB per day. After a check, I was able to bring newer fw versions to about 80 kb every day, but that makes also no sense. Remember: I asked it only to do NTP! 4 kb per month.

Hello, what are you using to monitor your internet traffic please? that produces that graph etc? Me wants :)

Cheers
Mark

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”