exernal Drive Caddy SpinDown

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
90Ninety
Know my way around

exernal Drive Caddy SpinDown

Post by 90Ninety » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:37 am

I have both tried a gereric HDD caddy and IcyBox Caddy , I have not experienced any spin down with disks inside of these caddies at any point .
SO I just wondered if there was either a firmware update which implemented external disk spin down?

Is there either of these true :

External drive Spindown feature for a short list of compatible drives and/or caddies in a current firmware ?
External drive Spindown feature being planned for future firmware?

I have a TS451 , latest 4.3 build firmware ( tbc ) . I only want to back up once every two weeks , seems crazy for the drive to be constantly powered

dolbyman
Guru

Re: exernal Drive Caddy SpinDown

Post by dolbyman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 am

spindown is not supported unless the drive itself supports it.

My 8TB disks are set to spindown after 30min of inactivity and it works just fine (has to be setup with some windows WD utility)

Don
Guru

Post by Don » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:21 am

I don't think it is supported on external disks. The caddy itself would have to do the spindown.
Read the Online Manuals and use the forum search feature before posting.

It is a recommended to use RAID and have external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

Submit bugs and feature requests to QNAP via their Helpdesk app.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 4.3.6.0895 | 40GB | 2 x M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 4 x M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (Cache) | 5 x 4TB HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-663 | F/W: 4.4.2.1320 | 16GB | 2 x M.2 NMVe QM2-2P RAID 1 (Cache) | 4 x 4TB RAID 5
Apps: Boinc, Squid, DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS, Entware, DLstation, +others

90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:08 pm

dolbyman wrote:spindown is not supported unless the drive itself supports it.

My 8TB disks are set to spindown after 30min of inactivity and it works just fine (has to be setup with some windows WD utility)

So correct me if I am wrong ; there are certain models of HDD ( irrelevant of Caddy/enclousre ) that support spindown softwares and the only spindown softare that controls external drives is Windows WD utility ? How does this Apply to the QNAP , is the drive spindown controlled via windows client machine ?

Don wrote:The caddy itself would have to do the spindown.

Do we know which Caddys have spindown ? Which HDD's are compatible with these spindown enabled caddies ?

90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Hmm , after some further research it seems that some Lacie External Caddies spin down with some synology NAS devices , see here : https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=49

I will try a Lacie caddy to see if this works

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 pm

most wd external drives support spindown...the timer is set in a windows utility..afterwards it works on any os or machine

e.g. no dataflow to/from the drive for 15minutes=spindown

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:45 pm

90Ninety wrote:So correct me if I am wrong ; there are certain models of HDD ( irrelevant of Caddy/enclousre ) that support spindown softwares and the only spindown softare that controls external drives is Windows WD utility ?
It's the enclosure that do the spin down, not the disk but as far as I know with WD external disks, it's always a complete unit with non-interchangeable disks.
Do we know which Caddys have spindown ?
I have never seen anyone list them. It would be great if all users that have the feature reported here.

I have a very old 250 GB USB 2.0 WD MyBook and also an Icy Box (Raidsonic) external USB 3 disk dock that both do spin down. My Icy Box model is unfortunately not available any more so I can't give a specific product recommendation but they are at least likely to have that implemented also on current models.
Which HDD's are compatible with these spindown enabled caddies ?
The only issue I have ever had with enclosure/disk compatibility was one very old enclosure that only supported disks up to 2 TB. Other than that, in my experience if one disk works, all disks work. I've been using 15-20 different disk models in 4 or 5 different enclosures/docks over the years and never noticed any issues.

The important thing regarding compatibility is that the the dock/enclosure is compatible with the Qnap model used.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

albumman
Easy as a breeze

Post by albumman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:31 pm

I have a couple of year old USB 3 dock from Cable Matters that works fine with my now EOL TS-212P.
TS-212P QTS: 4.3.3.1432 build 20201006
2 x Seagate ST3000VN000 (RAID 1)

90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

P3R wrote:
I have a very old 250 GB USB 2.0 WD MyBook and also an Icy Box (Raidsonic) external USB 3 disk dock that both do spin down. My Icy Box model is unfortunately not available any more so I can't give a specific product recommendation but they are at least likely to have that implemented also on current models.

Thats weird I have a current model ICYBOX single docking station with a 6TB WD green drive , this does not spin down . I have tried it on many different firmwares - just doesn't spin down . I will have to try a few more - any suggestions are welcomed . It is a shame this is not something written on the specification/ marketing of enclosures

<edit> On that note ; I have tried a few generic caddies with my other Office QNAP ( 253A) , both 2.5 and 3.5" caddies and I have not notice these spin down either

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm

90Ninety wrote:Thats weird I have a current model ICYBOX single docking station...
Are you sure it's an Icy Box and not the non-related Icy Dock? I have an old Icy Dock as well and that doesn't spin disks down.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:44 pm

P3R wrote:Are you sure it's an Icy Box and not the non-related Icy Dock? I have an old Icy Dock as well and that doesn't spin disks down.

Yes , It is an ICY box , this model here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Icy-Box-IB-111StU3-Wh-Aluminium-Docking/dp/B004UBU366/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510915400&sr=8-5&keywords=icy+box

90Ninety
Know my way around

Post by 90Ninety » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:55 pm

After a few hours research , the following manufacturers of disk caddies , offer models with spindown ( this is not an exhausted list ) :
Inateck eg (FE3001)
Startech ( the docks , not sure about the caddies)
Lacie

The three above were noted mostly due to reviewers writing the spindown feature on amazon . This is odd , since there is a lot of emphasis on other power saving technologies , yet it is not mentioned on the marketing material of such devices

There seems to be a commonality forming around the spindown and caddies , the products that do spin-down disks usually have an asmedia chipset within the drive controllers . Not sure if this related or not

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”