WD Red 8TB wd80efax new drives humming 24/7

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
joolz1
New here

WD Red 8TB wd80efax new drives humming 24/7

Post by joolz1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi,

I've just bought a WD Red 8TB NAS (wd80efax) and installed it into my QNAP TS-251+.

I previously had a WD Green 1TB inside the QNAP and it was fairly silent.

The WD Red makes a constant vibrating/humming sound 24/7 - is this normal?

Cheers

Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: WD Red 8TB wd80efax new drives humming 24/7

Post by Trexx » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Sounds like either you are getting resonance from the case or maybe drive tray. IF it is a "tool-less" drive tray, you can quiet it down by using mounting screws on the drive. Also setting the NAS on a neoprene/rubber mat many times helps quiet them down.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.4.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB Evo 860
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
Model:TS-228a FW: 4.4.3.x Test/Backup Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS RAID Rebuild Times | Live QTS Videos | | QNAP NAS Guide | Information needed when you ask for HELP | QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc.
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Briain
Experience counts

Re: WD Red 8TB wd80efax new drives humming 24/7

Post by Briain » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi

Yes, under the NAS I always use a small piece of wood (about same size as the NAS) then place that on a similarly sized piece of 20 mm thick foam material (or any other absorbent material; even a small hand towel folded to make a few layers pretty much does the trick) as without that, the mechanical energy - which is quite significant, and as I don't use disk hibernation, is also continuous - ends up being coupled directly into the shelf upon which the NAS sits (so very noisy in the room) and that then gets coupled into the wall upon which the shelf is attached (and even though my comms room wall is made from double engineering brick, without that foam isolation trick, you can hear the NAS 'hum' in the room on the other side of that wall). With that isolator below it, it's virtually silent in the comms room, itself (and of course, it's completely undetectable in the adjacent rooms).

Bri :)

NB Of course, the NAS's centre of gravity is not in the middle (as the disks are offset to one side) so once the foam settles down, you end up with the NAS sitting squint (which looks pretty naff) so I use a piece of foam that is slightly smaller than the wood and offset the foam to one side to even out the compression distances (but that really tending a bit towards OCD)! Well, my excuse is that I don't want my row of Qnaps all sitting at odd angles or it would look more like a collection of teetering tombstones in a old cemetery. :lol:
TS-119, 1 X Seagate ~~ TS-219, 2 X Seagate (R1) ~~ TS-453A, 2 X 3 TB WD Red (R1) ~~ TS-659, 5 X 1 TB Hitachi Enterprise (R6)
APC Smart-UPS 750

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”