TS-328 random and "planned" HDD spinning?!

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
Cerealz
First post

TS-328 random and "planned" HDD spinning?!

Post by Cerealz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:32 am

Hello there :)

So... After running loud and power intense servers, I thought it would be time to give a little qnap a chance for a better way on basic storage needs.

Unfortunately, the device isn't as quiet as I hoped. The drives are pretty loud.
Currently I have it totally clean. No apps installed, all default apps disabled (at least the ones which could) and Noone accessing the device.
I'd expect the device to not spin the drives at all. But they spin since like 9 hours straight. I totally don't get why.

Even more irritating: often it is quiet with no drives spinning - of course, I mean there is nothing to do for it.
But every night, exactly at 00:00 O clock at midnight, it spins up all drives for about 2 hours. Why?
There is nothing scheduled for that time. No virus scan, no security counselor, no malware scan. What the ** does it do every night?

SSD-Cache is enabled.
1X Samsung evo
2x barracuda HDDs

Any help on this highly appreciated.
I am running a Nas to sleep well at night knowing my data is save, now I don't sleep at all having loud drives spinning. Not a good deal ;)

Best Regards

Don
Guru

Re: TS-328 random and "planned" HDD spinning?!

Post by Don » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:06 am

What drives? What firmware? What does your crontab look like?
Read the Online Manuals and use the forum search feature before posting.

It is a recommended to use RAID and have external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

Submit bugs and feature requests to QNAP via their Helpdesk app.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 4.3.6.0895 | 40GB | 2 x M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 4 x M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (Cache) | 5 x 4TB HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-663 | F/W: 4.4.2.1320 | 16GB | 2 x M.2 NMVe QM2-2P RAID 1 (Cache) | 4 x 4TB RAID 5
Apps: Boinc, Squid, DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS, Entware, DLstation, +others

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”