[Discussion] Not entering HDD standby mode?

Discussion about hard drive spin down (standby) feature of NAS.
oivindi
Getting the hang of things

Re: [Discussion] Not entering HDD standby mode?

Post by oivindi » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:39 pm

khenderick: It might be that the activity documented in the log I included is due to the blkdevmonitor script, but that would make it plainly impossible for me to discover what is causing the wake-up - because the wake up occurs at XX:13 whether there is a script running or not.

How else would I document/log why it wakes up?

eduardo: Unfortunately, I don't have the mldonkey package installed.

khenderick
Starting out

Post by khenderick » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:50 am

oivindi; I mean that you should make a copy of the script to /tmp (cp blahblah.sh /tmp/) and run it from within the /tmp folder (cd /tmp) and (sh blahblah.sh). I guess you are running it from one of your shared folders, located on your disks. Since the script logs the output to textfiles in the folder it's running from, the scripts actually writes on your disks, causing it to spin up, and logging that action. It's better to keep the logfiles as clean as possible, so the main cause of the spinup (the "thing" that happens at xx:13) will be more clearly visible in the log.
TS-219P - Using Windows 7, MacOSX Snow leopard and Archlinux as clients.

khenderick
Starting out

Post by khenderick » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 am

Allright, I figured how to get rid of the settings.tdb. The smb.sh startupscript of samba was overriding some of my settings to smb.conf. However, the drive is still waking up every few minutes, but the logging doesn't show the originating file/process:

Code: Select all

---counter=1---
Countdown:
 drive state is:  active/idle
kjournald(511): WRITE block 27520 on md13
md13_raid1(452): WRITE block 995848 on sda4
md13_raid1(452): WRITE block 995848 on sdb4
---counter=2---
Preparing drives for standby...
Setting drives to standby...

/dev/sda:
 issuing standby command
 setting standby immediately.

/dev/sdb:
 issuing standby command
/dev/sdc: No such device or address
/dev/sdd: No such device or address
/dev/sde: No such device or address
Countdown:
---counter=25---
Countdown:
 drive state is:  active/idle
kjournald(511): WRITE block 27568 on md13
md13_raid1(452): WRITE block 995848 on sda4
md13_raid1(452): WRITE block 995848 on sdb4
---counter=26---
Preparing drives for standby...
Setting drives to standby...

/dev/sda:
 issuing standby command

/dev/sdb:
 issuing standby command
/dev/sdc: No such device or address
/dev/sdd: No such device or address
/dev/sde: No such device or address
Countdown:

**!

oivindi
Getting the hang of things

Post by oivindi » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:17 am

I have downgraded my TS-119 from firmware 3.1.1 to 3.0, and for some reason the problems with the drive waking up at XX:13 (every hour) seem to have gone away.

The disk isn't even waking even when Squeezecenter is idling (started, but not active).

Strange. I suspected the 3.1.1 all along, but I will maybe try another upgrade and see if the wake-up comes again.

chaslp
New here

Post by chaslp » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 am

Hi all -
For what it's worth, I found the source of my TS-219P waking unpredictably from stand-by mode several times per hour.

At first, I suspected something on my network was waking it up, but was surprised when I completely unplugged the NAS from the network and it was STILL waking up. How could this be?

The periodic wake-ups stopped after I unchecked the box that requests the NAS to synchronize its time setting with an Internet Time Server. The time interval was set to sync only once per day, but I suspect that the NAS will keep trying at a regular interval if the sync attempt is unsuccessful, which I think was happening in my situation.

With the box unchecked, my NAS now stays in stand-by mode as it should, but I've encountered another curiosity: The drives spin down as expected, but the System-Status light remains green. The docs say that the status light should go out. I'm a little puzzled by this, but I accept the fact that QNAP's firmware is a work in progress. At this point, I'm just happy the NAS is going into standby and staying there.

khenderick
Starting out

Post by khenderick » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 am

I have mrtg running every five minutes. To let the disk spin down, all mrtg related stuff and scripts are located in ram or on flashdisks. However, the entries in the disk-spindown-check-script not reporting the originating program, must be somehow related to mrtg since the disks are spinning down as they should be without mrtg running.

So, now I'm trying to find what exactly mrtg is doing to my disks to prevent them from spinning down...

bobertuk
Easy as a breeze

Post by bobertuk » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:35 am

chaslp wrote:Hi all -
For what it's worth, I found the source of my TS-219P waking unpredictably from stand-by mode several times per hour.

At first, I suspected something on my network was waking it up, but was surprised when I completely unplugged the NAS from the network and it was STILL waking up. How could this be?

The periodic wake-ups stopped after I unchecked the box that requests the NAS to synchronize its time setting with an Internet Time Server. The time interval was set to sync only once per day, but I suspect that the NAS will keep trying at a regular interval if the sync attempt is unsuccessful, which I think was happening in my situation.

With the box unchecked, my NAS now stays in stand-by mode as it should, but I've encountered another curiosity: The drives spin down as expected, but the System-Status light remains green. The docs say that the status light should go out. I'm a little puzzled by this, but I accept the fact that QNAP's firmware is a work in progress. At this point, I'm just happy the NAS is going into standby and staying there.

Similar issue with my TS-509. I set it to synchronize with an internet time server once each day. After some firmware upgrades it starts to synchronises every hour and wakes up the HDD on an hourly basis. After changing it back to once daily, everything is OK again - HDD goes into standby.

Bob
1 x Touch - LMS 7.7.1 SQLite - SSOTS v4.14
1 x Radio
1 x Boom
Lavry DA-10 DAC
QNAP TS-509 3.5.2 build 1124T
Starfish Pre-amp : Based on NAIM
Heavily modified NAIM NAP 250 Power-amp
Behringer DEQ2496
Linn Isobarik DMS

khenderick
Starting out

Post by khenderick » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Finaly working. It was the lockfile and the logging of mrtg (not the logfiles of the monitored stuff, but the log of mrtg itselfs) that prevented the disks from spinning down.

Disks are spinning down at night. Let's see how the disks will behave during day when more computer in the house are on (especially samba, who likes to write to 1001 files every time sombody requests a list of shares (like mac does every few minutes).

khenderick
Starting out

Post by khenderick » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:26 am

I hope sombody read and verify this; but is it possible that if you select a 20 or 30 minutes disk spindown timeout, the disk won't spin down, but a 15 minutes timeout works like a charm?

Eduardo
Easy as a breeze

Post by Eduardo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:10 am

khenderick wrote:I hope sombody read and verify this; but is it possible that if you select a 20 or 30 minutes disk spindown timeout, the disk won't spin down, but a 15 minutes timeout works like a charm?

10 min mine. Ok. But I have to kill MLDonkey each time the NAS reset.
TS-259Pro+,TS-239 Pro. Firm 3.7.3 Build0801
2xSeagate ST32000542AS CC34 Raid 1 (+1 ST32000542AS Raid 1 ESATA/USB Backup)
Qpkg: MLDonkey, JRE, Micke OpenSSH, Micke Nasreport, Python, CrashPlan, Rsnap.
Ipkg: Rsnapshot, logrotate, heyu
================================================================================================
Looking forward to a (Prolific 2303 or ftdi) USB to serial driver!

JasonT
Starting out

Post by JasonT » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:28 am

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in previous posts. I have set the 'Hardware' to Enable HDD standby mode after 5 Minutes. Taking onboard QNAPRei original post, I turned off various active services, drives continue to spin and access (CPU 3-8% usage). So there must be something accessing the system still? So with the setting still at 5mins I unplugged my network cable. Amazingly the drives still continue to spin, what are they accessing? Is there no way to stop them?

See my signature for system spec. The unit is brand new. Thanks for any suggestions.....
TS-219P - 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (7200.11) ST31000333AS CC1H - RAID 1
Current firmware version: 3.1.2 Build 1014T

JasonT
Starting out

Post by JasonT » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:04 am

Seem to have solved the problem, spin down now works :) Basically I did a 'Restore to Factory Reset' in the web interface as I had no files on the NAS.
I then changed the 'Hardware' to Enable HDD standby mode after 5 Minutes. Closed the browser window and waited, it now powers down. :D

JasonT
Starting out

Post by JasonT » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:20 am

Ok latest experiences. All PCs are linked via WAN off my router. Im finding that the PC running Windows XP doesn't prevent the NAS from HDD spin down - while logged in and running browser applications etc. However, my PC running Windows 7 64 bit seems to knock it out of standby on login. I dont have any mapped drives, and the installation is factory. Notably, when the Win 7 PC is placed into hibernate the HDD on the NAS spins down after the selected 5mins. Thought it would be useful to mention this for any firmware updated. Any thoughts on this QNAP people?

seric
New here

Post by seric » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 am

Hi

I have encountered the exact same problem, my 219P never goes in standby. I have enabled DYDNS too, but reading in this forum hasn't really enlightnend me. What are the steps I need to perform in order for my NAS to go to standby, even with DYNDNS enabled.

seric
New here

Post by seric » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 am

Actually I have learned by now that this is a persistent problem that the skilled guys from QNAP HOPEFULLY is working on. I'd appreciate a status from QNAP so we know when to expect this problem solved - reasonable right!
seric wrote:Hi

I have encountered the exact same problem, my 219P never goes in standby. I have enabled DYDNS too, but reading in this forum hasn't really enlightnend me. What are the steps I need to perform in order for my NAS to go to standby, even with DYNDNS enabled.

Return to “HDD Spin Down (HDD Standby)”