XP and QNAP-TS239 Pro II Samba

Windows Access Rights Management
gognole
New here

XP and QNAP-TS239 Pro II Samba

Post by gognole » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Hello,
I've have a problem with file sharing on TS-239 Pro II.
Using windows XP explorer, it is not possible to create two folders with the same name (like alpha and Alpha).
Let's say it is normal because Windows is not case sensitive.
Using a microsoft access database with VBA code, i can do this operation.
Let's say I have a folder called temp. Using VBA code, I can create a folder Temp on QNAP share folder
event if the folder temp already exists.

Can you please tell me if it possible to fix this problem ?

I've tested on another nas (not QNAP) and only one folder is created using temp or Temp folder name
in VBA code.

Thank you very much.

schumaku
Guru

Re: XP and QNAP-TS239 Pro II Samba

Post by schumaku » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 pm

By default, Samba 3.0 has the same semantics as a Windows NT server, in that it is case insensitive but case preserving. As a special case for directories with large numbers of files, if the case options are set as follows, "case sensitive = yes", "case preserve = no", "short preserve case = no" then the "default case" option will be applied and will modify all filenames sent from the client when accessing this share.

I don't know how smart it is to allow overriding standard Windows behaviour, but here is what you are looking for:

From: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/man ... onf.5.html
NAME MANGLING
Samba supports name mangling so that DOS and Windows clients can use files that don't conform to the 8.3 format. It can also be set to adjust the case of 8.3 format filenames.

There are several options that control the way mangling is performed, and they are grouped here rather than listed separately. For the defaults look at the output of the testparm program.

These options can be set separately for each service.

The options are:

case sensitive = yes/no/auto
controls whether filenames are case sensitive. If they aren't, Samba must do a filename search and match on passed names. The default setting of auto allows clients that support case sensitive filenames (Linux CIFSVFS and smbclient 3.0.5 and above currently) to tell the Samba server on a per-packet basis that they wish to access the file system in a case-sensitive manner (to support UNIX case sensitive semantics). No Windows or DOS system supports case-sensitive filename so setting this option to auto is that same as setting it to no for them. Default auto.

default case = upper/lower
controls what the default case is for new filenames (ie. files that don't currently exist in the filesystem). Default lower. IMPORTANT NOTE: This option will be used to modify the case of all incoming client filenames, not just new filenames if the options case sensitive = yes, preserve case = No, short preserve case = No are set. This change is needed as part of the optimisations for directories containing large numbers of files.

preserve case = yes/no
controls whether new files (ie. files that don't currently exist in the filesystem) are created with the case that the client passes, or if they are forced to be the default case. Default yes.

short preserve case = yes/no
controls if new files (ie. files that don't currently exist in the filesystem) which conform to 8.3 syntax, that is all in upper case and of suitable length, are created upper case, or if they are forced to be the default case. This option can be used with preserve case = yes to permit long filenames to retain their case, while short names are lowercased. Default yes.

By default, Samba 3.0 has the same semantics as a Windows NT server, in that it is case insensitive but case preserving. As a special case for directories with large numbers of files, if the case options are set as follows, "case sensitive = yes", "case preserve = no", "short preserve case = no" then the "default case" option will be applied and will modify all filenames sent from the client when accessing this share.

Play around with these options in smb.conf on your own risk.

-Kurt.

gognole
New here

Re: XP and QNAP-TS239 Pro II Samba

Post by gognole » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:08 am

Kurt,

Thank you for the answer.

I'm going to have a look to smb.conf file.

Best regards

Return to “Windows”