HD-Station - libCEC support. (HDMI-CEC)

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Burn
Know my way around

HD-Station - libCEC support. (HDMI-CEC)

Post by Burn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Would love cec on the qnap. and cause hd station runs @ ubuntu there should be no "software" restrictions.
http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/
What

libCEC allows you in combination with the right hardware to control your device with your TV remote control. Utilising your existing HDMI cabling
How

libCEC is an enabling platform for the CEC bus in HDMI, it allows developers to interact with other HDMI devices without having to worry about the communication overhead, handshaking, and the various ways of sending a message for each vendor
Who

libCEC is already used in some of the most popular media centre platforms in the market and the number of adopters is growing. See if your media centre software already uses libCEC on our adopters page
Why
-------------------------------
1x TS-412, 2x TS-419P+, 1x TS-569L
-------------------------------
http://www.constey.de
---- New Kernel, Libs, Security Fixes > New Features ----

schumaku
Guru

Re: HD-Station - libCEC support. (HDMI-CEC)

Post by schumaku » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:48 pm

It's commercially licensed is this context. Not convinced it's worth it - considering the very few implementers, limited features (One Touch Play, Routing Control, Standby).

diabloss
Starting out

Post by diabloss » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:46 pm

+1 for this
i own an usb pulse eight hdmi cec adapter and would be more than awsome to make use of it with my ts-251 NAS

wmarsch
Getting the hang of things

Post by wmarsch » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:53 am

+1 for this
every raspberry ($29) supports hdmi-cec.

In my understanding there are no Intel Chipset that has ece. Perhaps Qnap AMD Models.

Or u take this:
https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter

and find right sw. driver

diabloss
Starting out

Post by diabloss » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:38 am

there is nothing related to licenses or something similar GPL etc etc .... just integrate into the firmware the ceclib's ... and with the usb adapter will be possible the usage of the modern tv remotes.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:44 pm

wmarsch wrote:every raspberry ($29) supports hdmi-cec.
Yes - because of the Broadcom GPU interestingly came with a HDMI-CEC controller built-in.

wmarsch wrote:In my understanding there are no Intel Chipset that has ece. Perhaps Qnap AMD Models.
Yes - majority of common GPU don't come with a CEC built-in. Information ref. AMD GPU is very vague - some claim it's just a lack of a Linux driver for CEC.

diabloss wrote:there is nothing related to licenses or something similar GPL etc etc ...
Easy brabbling years after my post...

diabloss wrote:just integrate into the firmware the ceclib's
When you have an eye on the TS-x51/x53 HD Station ...

[~] # chroot /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/
[/] # find / -name *libcec*
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/opt/xbmc/libcec.so.2.0.1
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/opt/xbmc/libcec.so.2
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/opt/xbmc/libcec.so
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Plex_Home_Theater/opt/bin/libcec.so
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/libcec.so.2.0.1
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/libcec.so.2
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/libcec.so
[/] # ls -als opt/Plex_Home_Theater/bin/libcec.so
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 15 Sep 15 09:47 opt/Plex_Home_Theater/bin/libcec.so -> libcec.so.2.0.1

... QNAP's HD Player (a skinned XBMC), and KODI include the libcec ... Plex Home Theater does have a link to a potentially non-existing libcec.so.2.0.1.

But then - this applies just to the TS-x51/x53 HD Staiton ... other platform builds seem differ massively.

diabloss
Starting out

Post by diabloss » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:39 am

schumaku wrote:
wmarsch wrote:every raspberry ($29) supports hdmi-cec.
Yes - because of the Broadcom GPU interestingly came with a HDMI-CEC controller built-in.

wmarsch wrote:In my understanding there are no Intel Chipset that has ece. Perhaps Qnap AMD Models.
Yes - majority of common GPU don't come with a CEC built-in. Information ref. AMD GPU is very vague - some claim it's just a lack of a Linux driver for CEC.

diabloss wrote:there is nothing related to licenses or something similar GPL etc etc ...
Easy brabbling years after my post...

diabloss wrote:just integrate into the firmware the ceclib's
When you have an eye on the TS-x51/x53 HD Station ...

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/opt/xbmc/libcec.so.2.0.1
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/opt/xbmc/libcec.so.2
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/XBMC/opt/xbmc/libcec.so
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/Plex_Home_Theater/opt/bin/libcec.so
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/libcec.so.2.0.1
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/libcec.so.2
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/libcec.so
[/] # ls -als opt/Plex_Home_Theater/bin/libcec.so
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 1000 1000 15 Sep 15 09:47 opt/Plex_Home_Theater/bin/libcec.so -> libcec.so.2.0.1

... QNAP's HD Player (a skinned XBMC), and KODI include the libcec ... Plex Home Theater does have a link to a potentially non-existing libcec.so.2.0.1.

But then - this applies just to the TS-x51/x53 HD Staiton ... other platform builds seem differ massively.

strange i have connected my usb CEC adapter but isn't working ... i have the ts-251 unit with 4gb ram.
the code is here https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec probably the maintainer of Kodi if would be so kind to build a release of kodi for HDStation with this hdmi cec lib included would solve the problem.

for testing purposes i have booted openelec from an usb drive on ts-251 ... HDMICEC works just fine with openelec's Kodi

Code: Select all

[/] #
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/project/libcec.sln.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/libcec-get-orig-source.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/libcec-dev.install.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/libcec3.install.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/python-libcec.install.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec/libcec.i.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec/libcec.rc.in.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec/libcec.pc.in.d
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.versioning/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master.zip.d

find: File system loop detected; `/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station' is part of the same file system loop as `/'.

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/project/libcec.sln
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/libcec-get-orig-source
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/libcec3.install
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/libcec-dev.install
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/debian/python-libcec.install
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec/libcec.rc.in
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec/libcec.i
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master/src/libcec/libcec.pc.in
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/homes/@Recycle/admin/.Qsync/Downloads/libcec-master.zip
/usr/lib/libcec.so.2.0.1
/usr/lib/libcec.so.2

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:29 pm

There could be many reasons ... the adapter might be not properly recognized, Kodi might have a bug. Beyond, every NAS variant Kodi binary as well as the libraries provided are different - other NAS models HD Station don't come with the libcec libraries at all. In other words: Kind of a biiiiig mess. I have this feature request open with QNAP almost since the Pulse-eight adapter became available.

diabloss
Starting out

Post by diabloss » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:08 am

nah ... is just missing the kodi libcec ... but maybe somebody will make it happen and will compile the kodi qpkg package with kodi libcec inside

but i believe this will need to be raised with qnap to build their kernel with support for Kodi HDMI CEC

Xmantium
Been there, done that

Post by Xmantium » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:18 am

Ive got the Pulse CEC USB, if openELEC running on your Qnap works there must be some way of making it work on the QTS

Any luck so far?

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:41 pm

when I understand the communication with QNAP , QTS 4.2.1, HD Station 3.1.2 ff. will include the libCEC so Kodi can make use of it.

mtz_ro_2003
Know my way around

Post by mtz_ro_2003 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Well, I'm using Kodi with the Pulse Eight CEC-USB adapter with no problem... see http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=114279&start=15#p522839
The only thing needed for the Pulse Eight adapter to be recongized is the cdc-acm.ko module...
Model: TS-453 Pro 16GB - HyperX Impact, 16GB, DDR3, 1866MHz, CL11, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit
Firmware: 4.2.1 build 20160601
Disks: 4 x 4TB WD Red (WD40EFRX) RAID5

Koba_SC
New here

Post by Koba_SC » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Now with the new Kodi 16 the Pulse Eight CEC-USB adapter don't work, because Qnap have compiled the HD Station application without CEClib support

08:30:32 T:140594353264640 WARNING: CreatePeripheral - libCEC support has not been compiled in, so the CEC adapter cannot be used.

I do not understand why the team Qnap seeks to prevent us from using this feature. This brings a real ease of use compared to a mobile application.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:32 am

Koba_SC wrote:Now with the new Kodi 16 the Pulse Eight CEC-USB adapter don't work, because Qnap have compiled the HD Station application without CEClib support
Hm .... cdc-acm.ko became part of the QTS 4.2.0/4.2.1 firmware ... /lib/modules/misc/cdc-acm.

Was your hD Station updated recently? I don't think so ... Much more, Kodi was updated from 15.2.x to 16.0.0 (QPKG versions) ... while KODI 16.0.0 came with libcec, kodi.bin has not linked it:

[/] # find / -name libcec*
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/ext_libs/libcec.so.3.0.1
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/ext_libs/libcec.so.3.0
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/KODI/opt/kodi/libcec.so.3.0

[/] # ldd /opt/kodi/lib/kodi/kodi.bin | grep libcec
[/] #

In my opinion it's a mishap that libcec is not linked in Kodi 16.0.0 ... looks like QNAP simply missed it.

Xmantium
Been there, done that

Post by Xmantium » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:56 am

Koba_SC wrote:Now with the new Kodi 16 the Pulse Eight CEC-USB adapter don't work

Latest Kodi by QNAP works fine with CEC
https://www.qnap.com/i/en/app_releaseno ... hoose=KODI

Would be great if the main HD Station interface also supported CEC

Return to “Features Wanted”