I'm trying to update my backup policy to include offsite backups.
A relative of mine also has a QNAP running and I plan to mutually backup files to the other NAS over VPN.
Local test using HBS3 so far is ok when I use QuDeDup (without that I see problems with RTRR eating up the available RAM).
Now my question regarding security:
- When I configure the NAS and activate the rsync/rtrr server there is just the user RSYNC and its password.
- During configuration of the source NAS only this password is asked, no other parameters.
- I can select every shared folder as a destination, it seems
- checking the backup files on the destination folder, the owner of this file is admin, so I assume the process can place the files everywhere
- I tried a restore of normal files, generated by a normal user on the destination NAS, files where not produced by a backup
- and now the critical point: the restore process just copied the plain files from the destination NAS to the source NAS
How is it possible to avoid that?
I hope its just a silly question and not a problem in the security concept of HBS3.
Thanks for any ideas.